Some MIDI lanes are silent

gstring

I have a drum track with the snare, bass drum, cymbals, etc. in different lanes of a midi track. It seems impossible to move data from one lane to another. Also some of the lanes are silent unless I solo the lane. If I un-solo the track, only the bass drum lane sounds, but the other lanes will sound if I solo their respective lane. Copying a "silent" lane to it's own track does not solve the problem; it is still silent unless soloed. If I try bouncing all lanes to a clip, then only the bass drum survives.

Edited by gstring
Had more info to add.

Some lanes were grayed out but definitely not muted. I found that the same problem happens with audio take lanes that are recorded in Comping Mode. In Sound on Sound mode all lanes are still accessible whether soloed or not. I opened another project and the problem did not show up when recording new midi lanes to a single track in comping or sound on sound mode, but the problem still occurs when trying to record an audio track using comping mode. I was unable to highlight parts of clips in different lanes to select the best take. Take Lane 3 was the only one that stuck to the track, even though the other lanes could be heard when soloed. This appears to be a bug in Comping Mode.

THis might be why I still avoid lanes and will use a midi track for each part. I get lost in te world of lanes. I then create a folder for these parts which more or less does the same thing lanes do as far as screen space goes. 

8 hours ago, gstring said:

Some lanes were grayed out but definitely not muted.

Not lane-muting, clip-muting. Everything you decribed is consistent with clips being muted.

Comp recording automatically mutes takes as they're superseded by newer ones. Clicking a take with the Comp tool in the lower half clip will 'promote' that take and mute others in the same time range. Or you can use the 'k' shortcut as mentioned to unmute any or all takes in the case that you want sound on sound playback.

I'm not completely understanding your description of the different problems you're encountering , but i don't think you're encountering a bug. I think you must need to understand the tools.

A screenshot might help clarify what you're seeing. Or share a copy of the project with the MIDI drums.

I think I have the hang of it now. I didn't even have the comping tool selected. So with the tool selected, I now see how I can promote selected areas of each lane. Thanks David for pointing me in the right direction. I haven't tried this yet with midi lanes of a track. I'd still like to know how midi notes can be moved from one lane to another.