Midi project - faders not working

dwf2008

Question

I created a midi file by exporting a score from Musescore3.  After loading it into cakewalk I had 2 tracks, one for lead guitar on channel 1 and one for rhythm guitar on channel 7. I set each track to  output to my Kurzweil PC3 keyboard. Then opened the Event View for each track and deleted all events that were not on the channel for the track. Then set the patch in the event view for each track. Everything seems to work and play OK except both track faders only operate track 1. How can I get the track 2 fader to work on  track 2? The midi file is attached. Thank you for any help.

Git_Goin.mid

9 answers to this question

One thing I notice is that neither of the MIDI tracks are assigned to a MIDI channel. When I put the first track on channel 1 and the second track on channel 2, both faders work the way they are supposed to.

5 hours ago, Chappel said:

One thing I notice is that neither of the MIDI tracks are assigned to a MIDI channel. When I put the first track on channel 1 and the second track on channel 2, both faders work the way they are supposed to.

If you look at the event view you will see the events on track 1 are on channel 1 and the events on track 2 are on channel 7.  Does cakewalk ignore these settings? How do I set a track to a specific channel?

And thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, dwf2008 said:

How do I set a track to a specific channel?

Expand the track downwards and you will see 5 dropdowns.
I      Input MIDI channel for recording
O   Output - which instrument is the MIDI routed to.
C   The MIDI channel used to send to the instrument selected in O
B   Bank number for patch changes in multi-timbre instruments
P   Patch number in the bank.

These all appear in the Inspector as well, just laid out differently.

Yup to control things on different channels, you do need to set the midi output channel on your 2nd track, to send midi data on channel 2.  I have to do the same thing when controlling multiple loaded instruments in a single Kontakt instance - each instrument gets its own midi channel, so for each midi track, I set the midi output channel for that tracks, to match the corresponding midi channel for the instrument I want that midi track to deal with.

It's just the way it works :)

Bob Bone

4 hours ago, dwf2008 said:

If you look at the event view you will see the events on track 1 are on channel 1 and the events on track 2 are on channel 7.  Does cakewalk ignore these settings? How do I set a track to a specific channel?

And thanks for your help.

336728513_MIDIChannel1.thumb.JPG.1e612ffa264b48b8482720f1859b4652.JPG

Thanks for raising this issue and for the various comments.  It has been a while since I systematically ganged multiple midi channels on one DAW/sequencer track--certainly before take lanes and probably the current system for setting different record modes (e.g., Sound-on-Sound). I did not look at the Console faders, so to a certain extent what I did based on this thread is off-topic

However, what I did relates to the comments made in discussion.  I share my attempts to recreate an ancient workflow only insofar as it relates to the discussion. 

After the first attempt, I found I needed to change the takes behavior and the record mode since those did not allow me to use the ancient work flow. I only mention this in case these settings also impact what the faders seem to do, not to derail the topic.

Then using a usb/midi keyboard I played an external multi-channel synth module in effect through Cakewalk so I could record data from three different midi channels on a single Cakewalk track and then playback them back.  The first three passes were (for the most part) note data. With three more passes, I also recorded CC data.  Thus Track 1 (the only track) had note data and CCs on 3 midi channels.

As expected, when the Channel Widget was set to None, the three midi channels played three midi channels on the sound module.  Also as expected,  when the track was forced to a single midi channel (with the Channel Widget), all three midi channels played played the sound module only on the forced channel.

I don't know that I will ever develop a work flow using this ancient method in modern Cakewalk, but if I understand the discussion points raised above, this little test might have some implications.

PS: Chappel shows the widgets in the Inspector pane; to force all track data to a single midi channel, I used the channel widget in the track pane.  (It shouldn'y make a difference, but if you don't usually use the Inspector, its another option.   

10 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Expand the track downwards and you will see 5 dropdowns.
I      Input MIDI channel for recording
O   Output - which instrument is the MIDI routed to.
C   The MIDI channel used to send to the instrument selected in O
B   Bank number for patch changes in multi-timbre instruments
P   Patch number in the bank.

These all appear in the Inspector as well, just laid out differently.

OKNigel, I expanded the tracks but they only show the first 2 dropdowns. To see all 5 I had to switch the workspace to Advanced. I tried to modify the Basic workspace to show all 5 but couldn’t find the right setting. Is this possible?

After setting the midi channel it works as it should except . . . When playback is started, it reverts to the original volume until I click on the fader. Then it switches to the fader setting.  This seems like a bug?

1 hour ago, dwf2008 said:

I tried to modify the Basic workspace to show all 5 but couldn’t find the right setting. Is this possible?

The visibility of widgets is (in part) a function of the Track Control Manager.  Changing the Widget Filter / Track Control Filter to "All" is probably quicker than changing Workspace. 

Edited by User 905133
To add a link to a post in another thread that has images