I'm trying Windows 10 again.

Clint Martin

12 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

Many of the settings in Group Policy editor are vestigial.  Many don't work.  This has been common information for years, now.  It worked for like the first 8 months of Windows 10, but Microsoft disabled a lot of those afterwards - in the first feature update.  This includes the Pro SKU.  You can defer for 1 year on Pro, and then it will force installation of Feature updates.  You can defer security updates for 1 month, and then you'll have to enable it.

Many of us have kept up on this.  I suggest people interested in these things keep an eye on sites like WindowsCentral.com to be on the up and up for these things.

The unlimited deferral only works on Enterprise and Educational SKUs - not Home and Pro.

I have personally been using the policy successfully in Win 10 Pro since 2016, and have never had an update downloaded where I did not first click on "Check for updates".

And to repeat what you quoted me about earlier, I am not referring to the deferral settings. It is in the group policy. You keep bringing up deferral settings, but that is not what I am talking about. And the policy still works.

m78RDsS.png

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

There is a lot of false information about Windows.  Some is from people that want to justify using a different OS. Some is just hate of MS. Often this false information is reposted innocently by people that think they are doing a favor for others. One should  be careful about any information one can not verify.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:46 PM, SomeGuy said:

1. Not possible on Windows Home. Can only defer (not disable) on Pro (feature updates for a year, and a month for security uodates).

I wanted to use the windows 10 home version in a new computer build but it would not be connected to the internet, I would say that would pretty much disable updates, unless I get some annoying nag screen everytime I turn the computer on.

5 hours ago, Daniel Vrangsinn said:

Windows 10 is a wonderful OS for music production. I did all the standard "hacks" I did since windows XP, more or less. If there is any point to it - I don't know. Just an old habit. Didn't notice any performance issues before or after

I think the whole "tweaking of the operating system" is a leftover from the days of under powered computers, where you were trying to squeeze the last drop of power. These days, computers are so blazingly fast, it's no longer necessary. CPU, RAM, Harddrive type, number and distribution paths are all still important but the OS? not so much. Only time it is relevant is if a particular software will only run under a particular OS.

Computers may even be too powerful for the needs of music production now. My build is only having a i5 8400 and 16gig or ram, that specification is so blazingly faster than what I have now it's ridiculous, yet I am managing with what I have now ok, (4th gen i5, 8gig ram).

The hard discs are important though, I use the bog standard 3 drive machine, 1 large ssd for samples, 1 small ssd for operating system and 1 7200rpm hdd for recording, haven't felt the need to upgrade that one.

If I really want to ruin the performance of my machine, just take out the 3 hardrives and replace them with 1 7200rpm hdd, then the fun begins! All of my DAW's shit themselves.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John said:

There is a lot of false information about Windows.  Some is from people that want to justify using a different OS. Some is just hate of MS. Often this false information is reposted innocently by people that think they are doing a favor for others. One should  be careful about any information one can not verify.

Yes, the FUD is at an all time high, these days.

• 11 months later...

I'm going to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro on my desktop.   I haven't read every single post on this thread, but I have read most of them.  And from what I take away from it is, it's not necessary to do any configurations in Windows 10.   Is this correct?

Edited by greg54

4 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

On the contrary, I'd say there FAR more to tweak with Win10 vs. Win7.

Lots of extraneous "stuff" running in the background, automatic-updates, etc...

I have Windows 10 Pro on a couple of machines. They both have the latest build. I have not done much to either other than stop installed programs from putting a bunch of startup helper programs from auto-loading. I use autoruns (part of the system internals from MS)  for this. Windows itself has not been tweaked as XP was  for example.   

I do video and photographic editing along with audio. I have not run into a problem do to not tweaking Windows.

The reason I gave the answer that I did was it is true. Yet, it is a bit more complicated than just not tweaking  Windows. I have noticed just about every program I have phones home to alert if there is an update.  Also, Windows itself has its own messaging system that for example this forum uses to let me know if a thread I am on is posted to. Yet this does not interfere with programs that require exclusive use of the system. 

Not here to argue...  😉

You could choose not to optimize Win2000, Win7, or Win10.

Can you still work, yes...

Is it optimal?  Not in my opinion.

By default in Win10; there's a lot of power-management,  performance throttling, phoning home to MS, background applications running, scheduled tasks, automatic updates (including notifications), Cortana, OneDrive, etc.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

I upgraded form Pro 7 to Pro 10 when I changed to a new C drive.

I couldn't get there with MS online instructions and the tech chat was worthless so I got their CSR in India on the phone. One issue was that I needed a new registration code (or whatever) that isn't printed anywhere on the hardware and wasn't found on any drive. I didn't have a record of it -- the computer is 6 or so years old.

I think there was a 2 hour session with screen sharing during which the support guy was stumped so he had to schedule a session with one of their elite tech people.  I waited by the phone while playing guitar and doing other things until after the 3 hour window that I was supposed to wait for a tech to call was up, then I called them. Something happened on their end so I rescheduled for a few days later.

I got an elite tech in India and she assured me that she would be with me for her shift. ( I don't know how long that is, use your imagination)

She had to navigate the various Alice In Wonderland steps while we communicated by phone and chat.  We would hang up and  I  would call her back from time to time, sometimes having to stop for 2 or 3 hours while something downloaded and she did something else. I'd make a meal, have some coffee, play music quietly, take a nap, check the download status and call her when it was done.  Rinse and repeat.  (speaker phone, land line)

I think it took from about 7:00PM until 4:00AM or so the next morning.

So, piece of cake.

• Haha 1

Also, my new drive didn't come with 10 and the  OS upgrade was no longer free. They offered free upgrades for quite a while as they warned us of the looming supt. cutoff. I was wary of compatibility issues with software that was working fine on 7 Pro, so I dragged my feet.

I don't think you can safely go online with 7 if you can't get recent security updates, which I think they discontinued.

I could be wrong -- I'll let the experts weigh in.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:54 PM, abacab said:

Yes, you CAN disable updates for as long as you want on Pro. You just have to know where to find the policy and how to configure it.

HINT: What I am referring to isn't found in Windows update settings, where you can set the deferral. It's a specific policy found in the Group Policy Editor [Configure Automatic Updates].

I read something interesting about network settings - called metered connection - that you can check that box - and you will be allowed to update when you feel like it.

I seems that even MS it's over the top to demand people take direct costs any time this OS is doing updates when it wants to.

https://www.howtogeek.com/226722/HOW-WHEN-AND-WHY-TO-SET-A-CONNECTION-AS-METERED-ON-WINDOWS-10/

But if you are flooded with nagscreens and stuff, I have no idea.

I defered new computer purchase for 3 years now, and holding up a little bit more - I just don't want Windows 10. But these settings rocked me a bit.