MIDI Out messages are freezing my Kurzweil K1200.

Mathew Valente

Question

Hi,

Thanks for taking time to look at this. I'm having trouble with Cakewalk's MIDI out. My interface's OUT LED indicator is flashing extremely fast, and when I connect the MIDI cable from my OUT to my device's IN, it's causing my Kurzweil K1200 to freeze and I can't use it.

Pressing Keys will indicate Key-ons to the K1200's MIDI LED indicator (which doesn't flash constantly either, or if it does I can't see it). Pressing Keys does not result in any sound though.

I confirmed that other MIDI sequencers such as REAPER does not have this issue.

When I loop back the MIDI cable into the interface, and shut off MIDI input from that device in Cakewalk, and use Bidule to MIDI Monitor, I get note-on's and note-offs, but it doesn't show me exactly what's causing the MIDI Out to flash so quickly.

I should stress, this is not an interface issue, or a cable issue, this seems to be something that changed in Cakewalk's handling of MIDI Devices. It does not happen in other MIDI Sequencers.

I have a 60fps video if you would like to see it
(I apologize for my messy desk lol)

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Mathew Valente
correcting my grammar in title

1 answer to this question

Okay, so I finally figured it out.

It turns out I had a mackie control surface set up that actually was sending MIDI information out the port constantly. Once I deleted the device, it started playing normally again and the flashing on the MIDI Out LED on my interface stopped.

This is good to know in case other people have this issue in the future I guess.