Cakewalk Start Screen > New Project > Empty

I just installed Cakewalk by Bandlab and my start screen, new project, is empty. I didn't change any file settings and there are no .cwt on my system anywhere.  I don't have any .cwt files in my, ":\Users\blah\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core". I can see the .cwb files on the demo screen. I've used Pro Audio since 4 so I know a bit. This is a brand new install on Windows 10 and my first time ever using CWbBandlab. Please help,  I'm trying to follow a tutorial and it's asking me to use empty project.cwt and I don't have any .cwt(Basic.cwt, 4 track.cwt ect..)

I included a picture of the start screen.

there's nothing in my would like to get going . 

I searched here using: No template, blank start screen, download .cwt and came up empty.

Thanks for your time.

start screen.PNG

Edited by EugeneEG
  • Like 1

1) Did you run Bandlab Assistant as administrator?
2) Did you run it in Internet Explorer or Edge? Those can give problems. Chrome is ideal, Firefox works with me.
3) Is there somehow access restriction on the templates folder?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Cakewalk.

Edited by Nigel Mackay

26 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

1) Did you run Bandlab Assistant as administrator?
2) Did you run it in Internet Explorer or Edge? Those can give problems. Chrome is ideal, Firefox works with me.
3) Is there somehow access restriction on the templates folder?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Cakewalk.

I will try to uninstall and reinstall through Chrome. I think (pretty sure) I used Edge.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scook said:

By default project templates are installed in C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Project Templates

The template path used by the program is setup in preferences.

I knew this and checked; I don't even have a Project Templates folder... but thanks for your time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EugeneEG said:

I knew this and checked; I don't even have a Project Templates folder... but thanks for your time.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try the clean install. I tried to just uninstall and then reinstalling nothing changed.

ok, all is well! I think I know what happened. It amounts to, I think, user error(pretty sure). When I installed Cakewalk by Bandlab, there's a prompt that read, "Let's get started". This is where tell it about your inputs and outputs and select your preferred workspace (Basic, None, Advance). I truly believe that I clicked this off, on the previous first install, and went right into setting up everything via preferences(midi, soundcard, input, mic, blah). I think that's where I screwed up.

Once I selected my workspace at the, "Let's get started" prompt, the start up screen populated with the templates.

Just to recap; Clean installed.. followed directions... all is well.

Thanks everyone for your time spent on this. 

Now, can someone help me with moral of the story?

• Like 2

Oddly, it was created to help ease people's way into using the program.

I have, however, been the user who was so determined to have something go wrong that there was no stopping me. No wonder I wound up testing software for a living!

I recently somehow depopulated my entire templates folder, stock and custom alike, except for Basic.cwt. It's a good excuse to roll up my sleeves and get serious about creating some new templates, but dang, what was I up to when that happened? Why isn't it in any of my backups?

• 9 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 4:27 PM, EugeneEG said:

I will try to uninstall and reinstall through Chrome. I think (pretty sure) I used Edge.

You actually don't need to do this. Look, I had exactly the same problem, don't worry, it is a very simple fix. First of all, you should look for the path the Cakewalk templates (.cwt) are gonna be in. Usually there are two  paths, "C:\Users\blah\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" and "C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Project Templates". If there are no templates in either of these folders, they have to be somewhere else in folders related to Cakewalk by bandlab. If you you cannot find them no matter what, You can download them from here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y3ZR47tGki_J34-t4FSqff0ffwVTCE8G?usp=sharing

After having downloaded them, you can choose a folder to put them in, whether it is one of Cakewalk's default folders (the ones above), or whichever you want to put them in.

And here is the important part you should not forget! After putting the templates in your selected folder, you should open Cakewalk with the Bandlab assistant and ignore the empty "New Project" tab . Then go to preferences, and under the file section, go to folder locations. There you can select the path to your templates in the Templates selection. After clicking "Apply" and then "Close" and then restarting the daw, the templates should be showing up where the are supposed to every time you opne the program.

I hope this was helpful... If you solved your problem, you can now make great music and have fun!

Yours faithfully,

Dj Jossy

Edited by Jossy
Spelling mistakes

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:43 PM, Jossy said:

You actually don't need to do this. Look, I had exactly the same problem, don't worry, it is a very simple fix. First of all, you should look for the path the Cakewalk templates (.cwt) are gonna be in. Usually there are two  paths, "C:\Users\blah\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" and "C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Project Templates". If there are no templates in either of these folders, they have to be somewhere else in folders related to Cakewalk by bandlab. If you you cannot find them no matter what, You can download them from here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y3ZR47tGki_J34-t4FSqff0ffwVTCE8G?usp=sharing

After having downloaded them, you can choose a folder to put them in, whether it is one of Cakewalk's default folders (the ones above), or whichever you want to put them in.

And here is the important part you should not forget! After putting the templates in your selected folder, you should open Cakewalk with the Bandlab assistant and ignore the empty "New Project" tab . Then go to preferences, and under the file section, go to folder locations. There you can select the path to your templates in the Templates selection. After clicking "Apply" and then "Close" and then restarting the daw, the templates should be showing up where the are supposed to every time you opne the program.

I hope this was helpful... If you solved your problem, you can now make great music and have fun!

Yours faithfully,

Dj Jossy

Thanks for posting this Jossy.  Very helpful download.

It seems my Project Templates folder and contents went missing in the last few days. My suspicion leans towards installing and then uninstalling  CakewalkProject5 (.. it was late ... I was bored and feeling nostalgic) . Cant think of anything else I've done that could have had any impact on Cakewalk related content other than updating to latest version. 

Steve

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 10:43 PM, Jossy said:

Yours faithfully,

Dj Jossy

God bless you  its worked you made my day

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...