Free Piano Sound

msmcleod

I've had the flu for 2 weeks, so I've been limited to playing my Yamaha digital piano when I felt up to it.

I got really frustrated that anything I recorded sounded radically different both sound-wise & expression-wise when using any of my usual piano sounds (MiniGrand, AddictiveKeys etc), so I took the plunge and sampled my piano.

So here it is, all 88 note's sampled at 7 velocity levels:

The SFZ/SF2 will need a release time of around 0.5 secs.

Personally, I find this piano sound radically different from all the others. Hopefully some of you can find a use for it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

That's such a generous gesture (you must have Scottish lineage somewhere?)👍 Just tried it on some classical piano midi files I had lying around and it sounds great (with a very small memory footprint to boot - puts commercial efforts offered by the likes of NI, Pianoteq, Sampletank et al  to shame really....)

Edited by ExittheLemming

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I've had the flu for 2 weeks, so I've been limited to playing my Yamaha digital piano when I felt up to it.

I got really frustrated that anything I recorded sounded radically different both sound-wise & expression-wise when using any of my usual piano sounds (MiniGrand, AddictiveKeys etc), so I took the plunge and sampled my piano.

So here it is, all 88 note's sampled at 7 velocity levels:

The SFZ/SF2 will need a release time of around 0.5 secs.

Personally, I find this piano sound radically different from all the others. Hopefully some of you can find a use for it too.

This sounds like amazing opportunity. How would one use it? I have Kontakt Player. Would that work? I don't recognize the other file types. Thanks, very generous of you. 

1 hour ago, Billy86 said:

This sounds like amazing opportunity. How would one use it? I have Kontakt Player. Would that work? I don't recognize the other file types. Thanks, very generous of you. 

You need the full version of Kontakt I'm afraid. Kontakt player only plays sounds that have been specially licensed by Native Instruments (which costs money). That's why Kontakt player compatible sounds cost so much.

SF2 is a standard SoundFont, so any soundfont player should play that.

SFZ will work with Rapture, Dimension Pro, sfz+ to name a few.

Wow! @msmcleod That's a perfectly balanced, clean set of samples! And recorded totally dry (the way acoustic instruments should be 😀 )...  It may be the nicest piano I have now.

For the people using the SFZ version (which works great in the Sforzando player, BTW), paste this at the top of the .sfz file to take care of the release he mentioned:

<global>
  ampeg_attack=0
  ampeg_decay_zero=0
  ampeg_decay=0.005
  ampeg_decay_shape=-2.6635
  ampeg_hold=0
  ampeg_release=0.3
  ampeg_release_shape=-4
  ampeg_sustain=100

Thanks again!