Horrific Audio Glitch

I think this might be related to my latency issue. Or my audio drop out issue. Or maybe everything is related. I don't know if it's even Cakewalk, my computer, or my MOTU audio interface.

When I record audio (my horrible singing) there is a crunchy glitch that shows up in pretty much the same spots on my timeline. I've always thought it was just the crunchiness that comes with recording  at too low of a buffer size (64) trying to avoid latency. But it seems to be embedded in the audio clip. It's at the same spot even if I move the clip up or down the timeline. And the noise is there with or without effects.

I tried bouncing a short selection to mp3 to no avail. Once I got an error message, the second try, I it bounced to a silent mp3 file. So I ended up recording it from my Voice recording app built in to Windows 10 in m4a format. I'm attaching it here.

Recording Glitch.m4a

Okay,  I'll make a try at understanding the root of the problem:

A good place to start is to run LatencyMon [www.resplendence.com] to check that your machine happy with its combination of video card, network (wired/wireless) and other driver interactions. 

This doesn't sound like any noise I've heard that's caused by the interface or buffer settings. It sounds more like an intermittent analog connection, e.g. a broken mic cable, or a mic that's had an internal mounting point broken. I've had that happen twice: once after tipping over a mic stand holding a ribbon mic, and after dropping an SM-58 onto concrete (yes, you can hammer nails with those things, but they're not indestructible if you set your mind to it).

Does this noise go away if you increase buffer sizes?

Note that MOTU interfaces do support zero-latency monitoring, meaning you don't need to set your buffers to extremely small values while tracking vocals. My interface stays at 2048 samples all the time, whether I'm tracking or mixing.

@MediaGary Someone else also suggested that Latency Monitor program on another post of mine for a different (related?) problem. I forgot I actually have it on my PC. I'll run it and see if I can get some clues.

@bitflipper This seems to be a new problem. I havne't touched the mic or any cables. Actually, I have maxed out the buffer size to 1024 and still hear it in places. I don't think this is a coincidence but I notice the noise at transitions of my song. Chorus to verse to example. Right around the transition. Here's anothing thing I noticed by accident: I opened up my preferences to check on my buffer size, didn't change anything (buffer at 64), hit Ok. Now the latency is gone (5.6ms at least). But after a few seconds, it creeps back. So I'm still getting latency even at a 64 buffer. And here is another problem that I'm sure is related but I was going to do a separate post on it. And this is not a CbB issue. I've had this problem for a long time even with Reaper: The audio will go silent (during playback or recording) and there will be a high pitch "peep" sound around 10k for a second or two, then resume playing or recording. This has been plaguing me for a very long time and I've not been able to figure it but I'm sure all my latency, audio dropouts and this glitch noise are all interrelated. There has to be one culprit causing all of this. I need to get it figured out soon as I'll be tracking a client when this quarantine thing cools down.

Some plugins do generate a bit of noise, when they are in some demo mode or unauthorized - some Windows Updates can cause some plugins to decide they are not running on an authorized system, even though that very same system WAS fine - it depends on how those plugins determine they are on a new machine or not, and those methods for coming up with a secret formula that they rely on, can interpret the computer has changed, when really it was just some Windows Updates that were applied.

I have had this happen to me in the past.

Bob Bone

Latency should not matter as Dave has said, My system I keep at a medium buffer always and I have zero latency because I'm monitoring at the interface and not at the back end. All systems will have latency and the best of them get things pretty low but this is only needed for using things like guitar sims. 99% of modern set ups will never screw up at a medium buffer, Too high or too low they might. 

The best way to trouble shoot problems is to strip things down to bare bones. 

Record your vocals to a project with just a 2 track audio backing track. Nothing else added. If the glitch is still there then it's not a software issue. 

Then to test hardware you have to swap out each component until you find what is broken. This might require you to use another audio interface you borrow. 

@MediaGary @bitflipper Thank you guys for reminding me about LatencyMon. I ran it and I'm sure it will point me to the direction to solve all my problems. Problem is, I'm not that great with computer stuff so I don't quite understand everything in the results.  I'll paste the text here and hopefully you can decipher it for me. FYI, I was not doing music during this monitor. Not sure how big a difference that makes. If you want I can do it again while recording. But I think this shows that I have an existing problem recording or not since the interrupt and DPC routine meters are maxed out to the red. But maybe it's from running for almost 2 hours? Anyway, thanks.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  1:37:27  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        ROY-PC
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18363 (x64)
Hardware:                                             HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT, Hewlett-Packard, 3396
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  16258 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3392 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   10 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   48161.70
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   4.266973

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       48141.30
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1.145050

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              171.545401
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.013799
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.023949

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   1747633
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              27799.683373
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       tcpip.sys - TCP/IP Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.219153
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         ntoskrnl.exe - NT Kernel & System, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.359287

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   134956854
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                881
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              12
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              2
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 none

Total number of hard pagefaults                       0
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          0
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          0.0
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.0
Number of processes hit:                              0

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       226.896236
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                171.545401
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   11.159355
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      1741371
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                3409.998821
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   65.697154
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      31090621
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       121.861007
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                90.525649
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.041368
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      5999
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                435.723762
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   10.734181
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      10730147
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       152.916420
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                32.415979
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.001424
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      233
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1417.358196
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   21.144566
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      21806312
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       135.026555
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                9.152123
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000148
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      30
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                27799.683373
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   12.141802
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      12096678
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       123.335584
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                419.904481
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   16.663639
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      16989204
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       122.607718
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                420.136203
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   11.833393
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      11667294
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       117.999810
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                432.916274
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   16.407517
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      16761656
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       117.095633
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                433.693396
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   13.438076
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      13815838

image.thumb.png.5a09b0211d3667e1d47b6eaf5c929a15.png

image.thumb.png.452ae7223566ccd07450c234e6d439a5.png

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dxgkrnlsys-and-tcpipsys-high-latency-in-windows-10/609f7b4e-63af-40f1-85b3-7dcc7452200c

I googled around a bit and it seems that your problem is not uncommon. I am no expert by any stretch, but just for experimenting I would disable the network card to see if it does any difference. I would also disable the HDMI audio driver. 

• Thanks 1

This:

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3392 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   10 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

First I'd make sure your power settings are set to "High Performance".  I normally edit this plan and make sure nothing is set to go to sleep, e.g. USB, drives, screen etc, and make sure the CPU is set to 100% all the time.

But also take LatencyMon's advice and disable Intel Speed Step in the BIOS.

You should also make sure your running the correct drivers for your motherboard.

For example, the network card / ATAPI drivers are showing high usage - this could be down to your PC using the Microsoft generic drivers rather than the Intel ones.

You can download the drivers for your motherboard here (note there's no Win 10 drivers,  but Win 8.1 drivers should work ok)

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-elite-8300-small-form-factor-pc/5232852

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/7/2020 at 4:39 AM, msmcleod said:

Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

First I'd make sure your power settings are set to "High Performance".  I normally edit this plan and make sure nothing is set to go to sleep, e.g. USB, drives, screen etc, and make sure the CPU is set to 100% all the time.

But also take LatencyMon's advice and disable Intel Speed Step in the BIOS.

Ok so I couldn't find anything related to Intel Speed Step or Cool n Quiet in the BIOS. However, I did disable "Turbo Mode" in BIOS.

I tried recording new vocals and the glitch noise keep appearing in the same spots.

Crazy thing is when I listen back, the crackle varies in intensity. Sometimes you can barely hear it, sometimes, it's a big drop out. But when I bounce the clip, a crackle gets baked in.

I think there is something wrong with this project not so much CbB.

Here is a screenshot of my performance. image.png.257b6e12ddb047779e2d19015a66f5ff.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 9:53 PM, Helos Bonos said:

Is no one gonna help me with this?

I will try to help - it is the wee hours, like 3:45 AM here, so I will review the entire thread in the morning. and see if I can help you get squared away.  I just need to get up to speed on the issues and the thread posts first, as I had posted once i the thread a while back, but got away from following the progress, so I want to read through all the posts with a couple of good fresh cups of coffee once the sun comes up. :) 

Bob Bone