Midi Device Preferences Become Unselected

Connoisseur of Chaos

Question

I just installed 2020.04 and now I can see my midi devices both input and output, and can select them, but when I close Preferences, they become unselected and unavailable.  My midi device is a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD audio interface (with midi ports to one instrument).  I have installed the latest drivers for this device.  The audio inputs and outputs are working fine, it's just the midi that becomes unselected upon closing Preferences.

Platform:  Dell XPS 13 9370 running Windows 10 Home v. 1909.

7 answers to this question

One way I was able to make this happen intentionally was to make the file "TTSSEQ.INI" read only.

This file is located here:

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Note: You might have to enable showing of extensions to see the extension.  Start+run "control folders" view tab, deselect "Hide extensions for known file types"

I had a similar problem pop up about a month ago.  In my case, the cause was a newly detected conflict with the optional midi device provided by my audio interface.  This was one that had never been used, but a windows upgrade started to engage.  I was able to resolve my issue by disabling the unused midi interface in the device manager.  If you're having he same problem the evidence will be in the device manager.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:09 PM, Promidi said:

One way I was able to make this happen intentionally was to make the file "TTSSEQ.INI" read only.

This file is located here:

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Note: You might have to enable showing of extensions to see the extension.  Start+run "control folders" view tab, deselect "Hide extensions for known file types"

Thanks for the tip.  I set TTSSEQ.INI to read only and rebooted, but the problem is still there.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, Sleetah2000 said:

I had a similar problem pop up about a month ago.  In my case, the cause was a newly detected conflict with the optional midi device provided by my audio interface.  This was one that had never been used, but a windows upgrade started to engage.  I was able to resolve my issue by disabling the unused midi interface in the device manager.  If you're having he same problem the evidence will be in the device manager.

I don't see any other midi device in Device Manager besides the Behringer UMC404HD 192k, but thanks for the suggestion.

10 hours ago, Connoisseur of Chaos said:

Thanks for the tip.  I set TTSSEQ.INI to read only and rebooted, but the problem is still there.

I was inferring that the file needed to NOT be read only for the MIDI settings to save.  Setting that file to read only prevented the settings from saving.

2 hours ago, Connoisseur of Chaos said:

Got it.  I changed it back, so it's no longer read only.  Problem still exists.

Try, with Cakewalk closed, renaming the file.  Then go to MIDI preferences and reconfigure. 

If that doesn't do it, try running Cakewalk as administrator.

If that doesn't do it, then I'm stumped. 

(Note: In the20 years of using Cakewalk, I have never had this issue - except when I intentionally made my "TTSSEQ.INI" read only.)