How to adjust Playback speed

VisionPoint Media Group

Question

7 answers to this question

The Tempo Ratio function you might have read about went away a long time ago with the introduction of support for audio since stretching was not supported at that time, and it never came back.

You can manually change the project tempo and MIDI will follow, but audio will not by default.  To have the audio follow the change both visually and musically:

- Ctrl+A to Select All (doesn't matter if MIDI clips are included)

- Go to Clip Properties in the Track Inspector, and expand the Audiosnap section.

- Click to check the Enable box.

- Set Follow Options to 'Autostretch'

- Click to check the Follow Proj Tempo box.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

The Tempo Ratio function you might have read about went away a long time ago with the introduction of support for audio since stretching was not supported at that time, and it never came back.

You can manually change the project tempo and MIDI will follow, but audio will not by default.  To have the audio follow the change both visually and musically:

- Ctrl+A to Select All (doesn't matter if MIDI clips are included)

- Go to Clip Properties in the Track Inspector, and expand the Audiosnap section.

- Click to check the Enable box.

- Set Follow Options to 'Autostretch'

- Click to check the Follow Proj Tempo box.

This is something not highly needed in my own workflow in CW, it's something I've always thought to be outside the realm of CW's strong points and would opt for using Ableton in a project where tempo stretching audio a lot and collectively was going to be needed (sorry to mention "the other guy". I'm a huge fan of each platform and they each excel in their own separate ways) BUT...

This was an eyeopener to me!  I would say there seem to be criteria for this to work well. I have just tried this, following exactly your steps above, on several projects with varying results, ranging in quality from "as expected" to catastrophic!

First point to make (perhaps obvious to some - wasn't to me) it doesn't work if groove clips are involved - AudioSnap Enable is simply not available in this case.  I had several cases where after clicking Enable, the "Follow options" and "Follow proj tempo" were not available to me to choose (with all tracks chosen). And several times when "Follow proj tempo" was available and clicked it caused all the audio clips to be stretched and/or compressed (after much deliberation on CW's part), out of sync with each other, and this happened right away, without me having made any changes to the original proj tempo yet. Sometimes simply clicking the Enable caused CW to crash, and sometimes it simply worked as expected, and each of these results on the same projects.

So.... it would seem some other criteria are necessary for the smooth operation of the ability to squeeze/stretch all project's audio in one go. I wonder what they are. Ideas?

Yes, Audiosnap and Groove/REX clips are incompatible. But you can have a mixture of Audiosnapped and Groove-Clipped audio in the project.  I didn't think this was probably relevant of the OP, so didn't mention it.

And you need to be sure to set the Follow Option to Autostretch before enabling Follow Project.  The other modes will immediately try to fit the the clip tempos to the project, and usually not do a good job because the clip tempo maps are wrong.

Otherwise, so long as you haven't messed with clip Timebases or are other timing/stretching related settings, it should work pretty consistently. Crashing is not something I've encountered before, but I don't use it a lot.

1 minute ago, David Baay said:

Yes, Audiosnap and Groove/REX clips are incompatible. But you can have a mixture of Audiosnapped and Groove-Clipped audio in the project.  I didn't think this was probably relevant of the OP, so didn't mention it.

And you need to be sure to set the Follow Option to Autostretch before enabling Follow Project.  The other modes will immediately try to fit the the clip tempos to the project, and usually not do a good job because the clip tempo maps are wrong.

Otherwise, so long as you haven't messed with clip Timebases or are other timing/stretching related settings, it should work pretty consistently. Crashing is not something I've encountered before, but I don't use it a lot.

Gotcha. (sorry - yes I did hijack the OP's question, I guess 😏)

I think that was it. You do say to check Follow Option before Follow Project.  I think I did it the other way 'round because their order in the Inspector is that way.

This all makes sense along with the Timebase and stretching settings.  Yes I agree, it's not a thing I'd be doing much either, but good to know it can be done if need be and these precautions are taken.

Thanks!