Help needed/clarification on TTS-1 usage

Dave G

After having dropped from the DAW scene for a few years, I'm trying to relearn and refresh my knowledge of the TTS-1 synth and how to properly utilize it. I'd appreciate answers to the following (...sometimes hard to find in a Google search or in my current documentation):

[Preface: I don't use external instruments. All my work is done within my PC.]

1) What are the specific advantages of inserting a TTS-1 track as a "MIDI track" over a "Simple Instrument track"? Is it a matter of CPU resources or ease of workflow? Does it matter?

2) In the TTS-1 Synth options window, how do I know whether to choose "MIDI Source", "First Synth / All Synth Audio" output options?

434847261_SynthOptions.jpg.4fc4e499a6ccec73b7f56df4d8e555a0.jpg

3) That being asked, what is the simple/literal definition of an "audio output"? Why are there four for TTS-1, and what difference does it make versus already having 16 channels?

Just seeking clarification, as I'm having trouble understanding all the nuances.  I'm trying to make sense of this in my head before I end up creating projects in bad technique.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Dave G

I normally choose just the first synth option as I will only be using it for a rough idea of the song. I generally replace with better instruments as I move forward. The TTS-1 is bets used for playback of GM files. Some people like simple instrument tracks some don't. You'll have to try it to see which you prefer. 

The TTS-1 does have 4 outputs that you can assign the 16 channels to. Think of it as a 4 bus sub mix.  Example send the Bass to 1 the drums to 2 , keyboards to 3 and the rest to 4. This would be for processing outside of the GUI features which are very limited. If you need more then you would simply insert another TTS-1. 

2 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

@Jim - thanks for the mention!

@Dave - if questions remain after reading the articles, I'll be monitoring this thread so I can answer...assuming scook doesn't get to it first :)

It's all yours Craig

Why should I have all the fun

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the responses, everyone, and for being patient with my questions! I read both of Craig's articles, and I'm hoping for a little deeper explanation.

So, the TTS-1 can produce 16 simultaneous sounds from one instance of the synth in the Rack. But It also allows for four audio outputs. Per the screenshot below, I've created a sample scenario using one TTS-1 instance (see Synth Rack) and 3 TTS-1 audio tracks to one Output track. Each Track has its own designated channel # and Patch selected in their drop-down menus (not in the TTS-1 synth itself).

The Input drop-down in each Track is set to "None" ("Omni" appears when I highlight that Track).

The Output drop-down in each Track points to the same "Output synth" instance, as it should.

TTS-1.thumb.JPG.6713540a085bf567aa95ed565a06ee8d.JPG

(I think what's confusing me is the "1 TTS track", "16 channels", "4 outputs" equation...)

So, in layman's terms, please:

1. Are there specific benefits of a "MIDI Source"+"Synth Audio" track (& an output track) over a "Simple Instrument" track?
  2. Can it be said that the "literal" definition of an audio output is simply the Audio Output track of the DAW?
  3. Why would one choose four Audio Outputs / Audio Output tracks vs. one?

Thanks again. :)

Edited by Dave G

1 hour ago, Dave G said:

Thanks for the responses, everyone, and for being patient with my questions! I read both of Craig's articles, and I'm hoping for a little deeper explanation.

So, the TTS-1 can produce 16 simultaneous sounds from one instance of the synth in the Rack. But It also allows for four audio outputs. Per the screenshot below, I've created a sample scenario using one TTS-1 instance (see Synth Rack) and 3 TTS-1 audio tracks to one Output track. Each Track has its own designated channel # and Patch selected in their drop-down menus (not in the TTS-1 synth itself).

The Input drop-down in each Track is set to "None" ("Omni" appears when I highlight that Track).

The Output drop-down in each Track points to the same "Output synth" instance, as it should.

TTS-1.thumb.JPG.6713540a085bf567aa95ed565a06ee8d.JPG

(I think what's confusing me is the "1 TTS track", "16 channels", "4 outputs" equation...)

So, in layman's terms, please:

1. Are there specific benefits of a "MIDI Source"+"Synth Audio" track (& an output track) over a "Simple Instrument" track?
  2. Can it be said that the "literal" definition of an audio output is simply the Audio Output track of the DAW?

Thanks again. :)

In this example of yours above, I see 3 TTS-1 MIDI source tracks, with one synth audio output track.

1. In your example above, you apparently used a "MIDI Source"+"Synth Audio" track. This does have the advantage for adding multiple MIDI source tracks with the least confusion, and works well with a multitimbral synth such as TTS-1. I prefer "Simple instrument" tracks for synths that only play one sound at a time, and generally only require a single MIDI source.

2. Yes.

3. The four audio outputs let you send up to 4 audio sub-mixes to the Cakewalk mixer. There you could do additional processing on them with audio fx plugins way beyond what you could do in TTS-1 alone. For example, you probably wouldn't want the same reverb on all instruments. Maybe just send a submix on one of the outputs  for the sounds that you wish to share a reverb, similar to a reverb bus, and send the rest of the instruments on another output.

Edited by abacab

• 2 months later...

hi i also have a question for this topic. so i read Craig Anderton's article on how to use the TTS -1 and i was able to use a synth bass successfully.  I use the Piano Roll option since i dont have a midi controller.  I set the bass to channel one. However, I cant figure out how to add other instruments that i've assigned to other channels. here is a screenshot.1720622558_Screenshot(97).thumb.png.4c3b21dc20e8720112a566a1f9df803a.png

and here is a screen shot of my tts1 setup

2011883968_Screenshot(98).thumb.png.ffed79837dbab7c8f64efba962a2f67d.png

What I want to know is how to use the 2nd channel so I can add the sound of rain to my recording.

i followed Craig's instructions and it created that folder with those 4 audio tracks and 1 MIDI track but I dont know what all the other audio tracks are for. I noticed only 1 MIDI track was created. I hope you can help a girl out. Thanks!

@ana, you can create a second (additional) MIDI track and assign it to point to the TTS-1 instance on a different MIDI channel (I'm guessing channel 2?) You can definitely create additional MIDI tracks and then switch them around between instruments - they don't have to be created as part of the initial "insert instrument" step.

10 hours ago, ana said:

What I want to know is how to use the 2nd channel so I can add the sound of rain to my recording.

i followed Craig's instructions and it created that folder with those 4 audio tracks and 1 MIDI track but I dont know what all the other audio tracks are for. I noticed only 1 MIDI track was created. I hope you can help a girl out. Thanks!

The four audio outputs let you send up to 4 audio sub-mixes from the TTS-1 plugin to the Cakewalk mixer. There you could do additional processing on them with audio fx plugins way beyond what you could do in TTS-1 alone. For example, you probably wouldn't want the same reverb on all instruments.

Maybe just send a submix on one of the outputs  for the sounds that you wish to share a reverb, similar to a reverb bus, and send the rest of the instruments on another output. You probably won't need all 4 if you are just doing a simple two track project, just know that they are available to use if you need them.

I think Colin answered your question about how to send MIDI to a different instrument in TTS-1, you will need to add another MIDI track for that, using a different MIDI channel number. You can either have both instruments output to the same audio output, or you could spread them across two different audio outputs. Your choice.

Here is how to assign the 4 internal audio outputs to the 16 MIDI channels available:

TTS-1 System Options.PNG

TTS-1 Audio Outputs.PNG

14 hours ago, abacab said:

I think Colin answered your question about how to send MIDI to a different instrument in TTS-1, you will need to add another MIDI track for that, using a different MIDI channel number.

thank you so much for your answers! could you explain how to do this bit? i ended up adding a second tts. is that what this means? im sorry english isnt my first language and i get a bit confused

10 hours ago, ana said:

thank you so much for your answers! could you explain how to do this bit? i ended up adding a second tts. is that what this means? im sorry english isnt my first language and i get a bit confused

The TTS-1 is multi-timbral and is like having 16 instrument voices in one plugin instance, each one capable of responding to a different MIDI channel, 1-16. Or all on the same channel for a big. layered sound played together.

So you would  only need one TTS-1 to do what you want, but if it is less confusing you can add a second TTS-1. That way each gets its own MIDI track automatically routed to their respective TTS-1 on MIDI channel 1 when you insert TTS-1 as a simple instrument track. There are 16 MIDI channels on EACH track.

To do a multi with one instance of TTS-1 will require a separate MIDI track for each sound you want TTS-1 to play. You will need to "add MIDI track" manually for each additional MIDI channel you wish to use, then manually set the track to the instrument and channel you want to respond to that track.

In the following example I have three instruments set up in TTS-1.

1. Piano, using the MIDI output from the initial simple instrument track. Track output set to Cakewalk TTS-1, MIDI ch 1.

2. Acoustic Bass, using an additional MIDI track. Track output set to Cakewalk TTS-1, MIDI ch 2.

3. Synth Pad, using another additional MIDI track. Track output set to Cakewalk TTS-1, MIDI ch 3.

TTS-1 Multi.PNG

13 hours ago, ana said:

Right click to "Insert MIDI Track"

image.png.7bdd2a7073156eceaa3ddec23c1f6ac3.png

Set output of new MIDI Track to point to TTS-1 instance:

image.png.2b5e701533453234274f7bcb73158f16.png

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

A bit late in the piece regards this thread I know, but I struggled to work out the TTS-1 inputs from MIDI and how to assign the 4 outputs to separate tracks that I could use to control the mix of the selected MIDI tracks. The biggest part of the struggle was working out what to do with those 4 outputs until I got an idea from Mike's Creative Sauce video to make the tracks that the 4 sends from the TSS-1 go to as an audio track.

Being an industrial designer by trade, I like flow digrammes and drawings so I made up the attached drawing  after I sorted out how things worked 😁

This may help others struggling like I did.

In addition I have attached the CWP file I made. 

Please - don't bash me about how untidy the layout of the CWP file looks - if I had time, I'd set it up nice and neat like Mike does with his stuff, however the object of the exercise is to share with others if this sort of thing helps.

Do let me know if I have misunderstood and got something wrong please.

Harley Dear

image.thumb.png.dad3bd8fa4a5a153a3365ceebec97bf5.png

1112 Trial.cwp

Edited by Harley Dear
CWP file replaced Mon 4th Jan 2021 8:44pm NZDST