Make Instrument Track - how to?

winkpain

{I'm chiming in a lot here today - it's deal-with-issues-Sunday !  By no means does it mean that I don't continue to be delighted by this software and especially this community! }

...not that anyone is paying that close attention. Just sayin'

The desire is to Make Instrument Track out of two associated MIDI and Audio tracks created originally not as a simple instrument track.

Scenario is:

1. I have a MIDI track that sends to a channel on Synth X.
  2. I have an Audio track whose input is set to receive from Synth X
  3. Neither of these tracks are associated in any was with another synth and they function and play as expected
  4. I select only these two tracks, right-click and choose "Make Instrument Track"
  5. I then receive the message in the attached image.

I don't know what other assignment I need to have between these two tracks to make this work.

Annotation 2020-05-03 152333.png

Is a Drum Map involved?  I've never been able to create an instrument track when the midi track goes to a drum map and then to a Audio track. It seems to me that's only two tracks (one midi & one audio) but Calewalk has always disagreed, giving me the same error message.

If you have any other MIDI track pointing to that synth it will also cause this message.

This can happen when an existing MIDI track is set to output to none, and you subsequently add a synth - orphaned MIDI tracks will be assigned to the first MIDI output, which is your new synth.

7 minutes ago, Sailor55 said:

Is a Drum Map involved?  I've never been able to create an instrument track when the midi track goes to a drum map and then to a Audio track. It seems to me that's only two tracks (one midi & one audio) but Calewalk has always disagreed, giving me the same error message.

Nope. No drum map involved.

3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

If you have any other MIDI track pointing to that synth it will also cause this message.

This can happen when an existing MIDI track is set to output to none, and you subsequently add a synth - orphaned MIDI tracks will be assigned to the first MIDI output, which is your new synth.

Hmmm. Well, yes there are because it's a multi-voice synth. But they're on different channels. I can, after all, insert a multi-voice synth with many simple instrument tracks automatically created, but if I try and set up my own by adding a multi-voice synth with separate MIDI/audio pairs and then try and combine pairs into simple instrument tracks (in essence, mimicking exactly what CW does automatically), it won't allow it.

15 minutes ago, winkpain said:

Nope. No drum map involved.

Hmmm. Well, yes there are because it's a multi-voice synth. But they're on different channels. I can, after all, insert a multi-voice synth with many simple instrument tracks automatically created, but if I try and set up my own by adding a multi-voice synth with separate MIDI/audio pairs and then try and combine pairs into simple instrument tracks (in essence, mimicking exactly what CW does automatically), it won't allow it.

Ok, it looks like there's a bug here.

As a workaround, temporarily set all the MIDI tracks except one to point to another synth.  You should then be able to make the instrument track.

Then go through one by one assigning each MIDI track back to the original synth, and making it an instrument track.

44 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Ok, it looks like there's a bug here.

As a workaround, temporarily set all the MIDI tracks except one to point to another synth.  You should then be able to make the instrument track.

Then go through one by one assigning each MIDI track back to the original synth, and making it an instrument track.

Okee. Thanks for the confirmation and workaround suggestion.