Track Went Silent -136.0dB

Wow. I can't seem to get through one session without issues.

One of my vocal tracks went silent. It's the same stuff/settings/audio/plugins as my other vocal track but this one track won't output any sound; shows -136dB on the meter; the Global Input Meter shows Red and the clipping LED on the EQ and on the Tube modules in the Prochannel.

Weird thing (actually nothing is weird anymore) when I try to screenshot the red LEDs, as soon as I click my screenshot software, the red lights go out. Also, if I click one module on or off, I hear a lout clicking sound. Also, the meter on that track is maxed out so there is some loud (inaudible) noise that is causing the clipping and it must be so loud that it is muting the track somehow. On Reaper if something gets beyond a threshold of loudness, the track mutes but with the mute button so I can unmute it after I figure out what the problem is i.e. a delay feedback gone rogue.

I was wrestling with this issue for a while until I just gave up and closed the session and reopened it. Now it seems to be working. Why do I keep having these interruptions in my flow. If I had a client here, it would have ruined the session.

image.png.8f6d87dabb643390356514ec41bebfe7.png

image.png

I've seen auto feedback detection do something like this in other apps (where I accidentally created an infinite and increasing loop) but I haven't seen this in Sonar.

Any chance there was a feedback loop?

• Like 1

I'm not sure what it might be, but from a software perspective it sounds like the 'oh no! protect human hearing!' switch might have been thrown.

I'm trying to rack my brains to see if I've ever encountered this.

I think Noel auto detects internal loopback threat and mitigates it.

I know i have messed myself up making mobile recordings by doing things i don't normally do. Switching screenset during a recording. Record enable a track during a recording. 

Did you take any action near the time it blew up?

Edited by Gswitz

9 hours ago, Gswitz said:

I'm not sure what it might be, but from a software perspective it sounds like the 'oh no! protect human hearing!' switch might have been thrown.

I'm trying to rack my brains to see if I've ever encountered this.

I think Noel auto detects internal loopback threat and mitigates it.

I know i have messed myself up making mobile recordings by doing things i don't normally do. Switching screenset during a recording. Record enable a track during a recording. 

Did you take any action near the time it blew up?

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it is too. Hearing protection failsafe. I don't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary. I was just going through a bunch of different vocal tracks to align them and couldn't get any sound out of this one track.

I actually have this latency monitor software! I have to run it and see if it gives me any clues. That was a good video, thanks. I"ll have to go through my device manager to see if there are any power sucking processes going on.

• Thanks 1