Anyone familiar with the MOTU M2/M4?

mettelus

My Saffire is starting to give me grief, and Focusrite recommends not upgrading Win10 past 1809 (already done). The sample rate comes up all over the map and trying to do anything with Windows Sound Control Panel sends MixControl into a tantrum. Workaround if anyone is in the same boat - start Saffire, launch MixControl, set sample rate to something you do not want to use, then set it back. So far that works 100% for me, but is annoying, and not sure when a Win10 update will do it in for good.

Anyway... I start looking through new USB interfaces, and a MOTU M2 and MOTU M4 popped up. 32-bit/192KHz with digital loopback (a feature I want). The pricing is incredibly competitive ($169.95/$219.95). B&H has reviews on them, but then says "New item released in limited quantity." Anyone know if they were released (in limited quantity) or if this is intended to be a limited run item? It only comes in 2 in/2 out (M2), and 4 in/4 out (M4), but I do not need more. Drivers is my bigger concern. MOTU has a good reputation in this department, so I was wondering if anyone is familiar with these.

Edited by mettelus

I bought a M2 about 3 months ago. So far its working really well and the latency is lower than my focusrite 2i4. So far so good. It also has a loopback feature, which is useful for me since I make youtube videos. I liked the focusrite, but IMO the M2 is better. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, so these have been out a while. Based on the feature set and drivers alone these are well positioned to take over the lower end market. I just wanted to check if they were intended to be a limited run, then gone. I am still up in the air about pre-ordering one, since they are coming mid-May.

Side note - I have never run the Saffire off the wall wart and forgot it even came with one, but on initial troubleshooting is seems it actually damaged the PCIe lane it was in on the motherboard. I moved the PCIe card up next to the GRFX card (bad location for it), had interference, then dug up the wall wart and those went away.  Just something to note if anyone is still running FireWire - don't bus-power the unit.

Those MOTUs are cool, a friend of mine has one, but just know there's no software mixer like CueMix. I have the ZOOM UAC2 and that one works at even lower latencies, great sound, super stable software. Even the built-in Verb/Delay is more than usable for tracking.

R

• Thanks 1