Three Short Keyboard Works

Jerry Gerber

My 14th album, Earth Music features my 10th symphony and two shorter works, including Three Short Piano Pieces.

Here's a link to these pieces. They are programmed for a piano that is constructed using physical modeling, not sampling.

Here's a definition of physical modeling:

Physical modelling is a process of recreating the physical reactions and unique interplay of both physical and electronic components using mathematical models and algorithms to create a realistic reproduction. This scientific process is used in many fields, from seismology to the automotive industry. Interestingly, the same principles that create accurate earthquake predictions and more efficient engines and vehicle design can also be used to give vintage instruments a new lease of life in software.

PLAY

• Like 2

I find the sophisticated melodies (or is still correct to say sophisticated harmony?)
far more interesting than the choice of instrument, but I get you're "demonstrating"
that the "modeled" piano can be just as "convincing" as a heavily sampled one.
Hell, in the context of a dense rock mix, the TTS-1 works fine for my old (and somewhat
compromised) ears.

Hearing your "chops" on Clarinet and Piano, I assume you "played" this in?
Maybe some "light fixing" of the midi?

As always, a big thank you for showing us what can be accomplished with our DAW of choice...

tom

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I find the sophisticated melodies (or is still correct to say sophisticated harmony?)
far more interesting than the choice of instrument, but I get you're "demonstrating"
that the "modeled" piano can be just as "convincing" as a heavily sampled one.
Hell, in the context of a dense rock mix, the TTS-1 works fine for my old (and somewhat
compromised) ears.

Hearing your "chops" on Clarinet and Piano, I assume you "played" this in?
Maybe some "light fixing" of the midi?

As always, a big thank you for showing us what can be accomplished with our DAW of choice...

tom

Hi Tom,

No, I did not play the music into Sonar.  I programmed it, note by note, in the notation editor.  Thanks for the comments!

Jerry

• Like 1

Boy I really like this. I always pay more attention when listening to classical because it's way beyond Music 101. Lots of ingenuity and awareness of music theory to appreciate. It's difficult to get the dynamics done right when entering notes via PRV or notation editor, but sounds like you did a good job there too.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:49 PM, bjornpdx said:

Boy I really like this. I always pay more attention when listening to classical because it's way beyond Music 101. Lots of ingenuity and awareness of music theory to appreciate. It's difficult to get the dynamics done right when entering notes via PRV or notation editor, but sounds like you did a good job there too.

Thank you Bjornpdx! Glad you appreciate my composition!

Jerry