To Snap or Not To Snap? PRV

sjoens

Lately Snap-To isn't snapping to, in PRV. Shaky hands make it hard to get it right. 

1. Set Snap to 1/4 in both Control Bar and PRV window

2. Slide a note to the nearest 1/4 measure

3. Note slips either side of the measure line (1:01:119 or 1:02:004, etc.)

I'm having to Quantize regularly.

Same with Smart Grid or no Smart Grid.

Intensity is medium to high.

No other options are checked in Preferences.

Definitely Snap-To as I almost never use Snap-By. Easy to miss but 1st thing I usually check when things aren't working as expected.

If no one else is seeing this, I may have a setting altered somewhere. Just don't know what it could be.

Thanks scook. This may be project specific. I created a new project and it worked properly.

As I understand it, Intensity is how strong it will snap.  Duration (whole, 1/2, 1/4, etc.) tells Snap where to put the note being dragged regardless of Intensity. In this project, Duration and Intensity both seem to have no affect on where the note lands when snapped. In fact, I was getting all kinds of erroneous Snap-To locations dragging different notes around in PRV.

Edited by sjoens

Just to be sure - since they're independent, Snap To is set in both the Control Bar Snap module and in PRV itself?   If so, I'd change both to Snap By, then change them back to Snap To, then Save.   

• Like 1

@SteveC Thanks. I tried it but no change.  The Snap function is completely unchangeable in this project.  BTW, I never use Snap-By unless I'm trouble shooting things like this.

@David Baay  No. I keep things simple and use Snap pretty much default.

I think I've narrowed it to just this one project acting goofy as the new project I made worked properly w/o changing any settings.

Come to think of it, Dimension Pro caused the project to crash hard once closing CbB, which may have corrupted the file somehow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sjoens said:

I think I've narrowed it to just this one project acting goofy as the new project I made worked properly w/o changing any settings.

Come to think of it, Dimension Pro caused the project to crash hard once closing CbB, which may have corrupted the file somehow.

What if you copy the clips to a new MIDI track?

Neither drag-copying the clips to form a new track nor creating a new track and copy/pasting the clips there improve the situation.

On another note, I still have to minimize or close any open web browsers before opening Sonar/CbB or they simply won't open. Very annoying.

Edited by sjoens

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 2:33 AM, sjoens said:

On another note, I still have to minimize or close any open web browsers before opening Sonar/CbB or they simply won't open. Very annoying.

What's the connection between Cakewalk and web browsers?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'd like to say I've had a similar problem to OP! It happens when I record midi notes with midi controller or Virtual Controller, then snap won't work on PRV.
If i want to work with regular notes I'll have to quantize midi content. 

I thought this was a known issue but after reading this thread it seems it could be a bug!

Best regards, 

EDIT: It seems the issue only occurs on some projects for me either!

On 5/8/2020 at 12:43 AM, sjoens said:

Edited by mgustavo