Method of madness to match audio timing

RBH

I've been a long time user and have always worked in real time - never employing a snap or grid or quantizing - on purpose by the way.

I have a version of  JOSE ' that I worked up a long time ago. It's currently a working version made with recorded guitars and bass - and has midi accompaniment for keys and drums. In this instance, I loaded up the original CD track after all my basics were in place and use it as a reference for mixing and editing only.  This is home studio stuff for my own education and fun.

Can anyone recommend any comprehensive videos or tutorials for creating a tempo map from the original CD audio track  and though probably in a very painstaking way * re render my audio and MIDI tracks to align closer to the original real tempo map?

Most of what I've seen are a clips that explain the basic tools - but doesn't show an application like this.

I imagine Midi  alignment will be much easier to manipulate to the new tempo map - but I have not gone through that either.  I'm not looking for perfection - but I'd like to go through the excersize of learning if it can be done and maintain reasonable audio quality.

My basic assumptions going into this for the first time.

I would select a portion or all of the cd track.

Create an FX region to work with in Melodyne for tempo map extraction ?

Render it back to CbB to create the new tempo map?

Select small portion of my recorded audio tracks and somehow align audio transients to this new tempo map?

Am I even close to understanding the basic path to do this? -

Edited by RBH

The best answer depends on whether the song was cut to a click, in which case the process is simple, or not...which is a whole other can of worms. In many (most) cases, CbB can use Melodyne to create a tempo track. It simply involves dragging the source track up to the timeline. You may need to change Melodyne's algorithm, depending on the source track itself.

Thanks Craig - I looked at my original tracks, and If I recall - I probably started this off using an midi file for basic drums and keyboard chords. I've tossed these tracks about for a while - but they do stay relatively aligned to the grid in PRV. So - maybe a good sign ?

and-  I did drag the CD audio track up the Melodyne and it created a tempo map based on what I assume is it's specific timing. There is  continuously  changing map -  varying roughly 118  to about 124 .  I'm assuming this is a decent start.  I save off as a copy to junk around with.

Of course now all audio tracks are off tempo  (as I assumed would happen ). The MIDI tracks however are close enough to work with. This gives me a start - Thanks very much.