Auto Zoom, Default Track Height & Workspaces

Bill Phillips

Question

Auto (track height) Zoom is not working in any of my workspaces. If I switch to Workspace "none" and some of the default workspaces, it does seem to work. What setting in my workspaces disables Auto Zoom? I've searched and can't find it.

Is Auto Zoom affected by the Set as Default Height tick box in the track right-click dropdown? If so, that could be the problem. I've never completely understood what Set as Default Height does. I've never found a way to get tracks to move to the default height. And now I find that once I tick Set as Default Height, it's ticked. I can't un-tick it. This behavior seems to be independent of workspace selection. Any idea what's going on here?

8uAeXPI.png

Edited by Bill Phillips
correction

4 answers to this question

I still haven't solved this problem, and would appreciate any assistance. If the question isn't clear please replay with a request for clarification. Here are some additional details:

1. I'm unable to un-tick "Set as Default Height" and it doesn't seem to set a track height used when the "Restore Strip" button is pushed for a track. This appears to be true even for the Workspace "None" selection. I don't think I've ever understood this setting though I do seem to find a way to randomly set default track heights from time to time. I just don't know how.

2. "Auto Zoom" seems to work fine for the "None" Workspace setting but not the custom one I'm using right now, but I can't determine why. For my custom workspace, the "Restore" and "Minimize" Strip buttons disappear when "Auto Zoom" is ticked. But, when I drag expand the selected track, and then select another track both tracks drop back to minimum height. I can't find a reason. I've  un-ticked "Theme" and "Display Settings" boxes under "Manage Workspaces." 

3. "Lock Height" seems to work fine.

4. I searched both the 25 09 00 PDF manual and the online documentation.

BTW, the "SHIFT + Z" "Auto Zoom" toggle doesn't seem to work. That's not a problem for me, but I noticed it's in the 25 09 00 PDF manual.

Edited by Bill Phillips
added missing text.

5 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Maybe try unistalling and reinstalling Cakewalk. It just takes a bit of time, that's all. Backup your projects first.

Thanks @Nigel Mackay, For the 2020.04 update I installed the early release version and the final version and the final release versions. So I don't think that un-installing and re-installing is likely to help. Also, it's possible that this problem is related to the 2020.04 update. One of the problems I'm having is deciding if this is a bug or caused by my Workspaces setup. I haven't been able to find anything in my Workspace setups that looks to me like a potential cause.

• Thanks 1

Auto Track Zoom is switched on/off by a menu item in the Track View's "View" drop-down (not the main app menu):

image.png.0ccdcd2466ab5440c987f8bfb8601122.png 

As for "Default Track Height" it always shows up as ticked if the current track is currently at the default height.
As far as I can tell, the sole purpose of Default Track Height is to set the height for newly-created tracks in the project. 
(happy to be proved wrong if anyone can show that it does more than this!)

Edited by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield