Screenset Change Request.

Zaquria

Currently the Screenset are Project level only. So if I setup Screenset for one project, it will not be available for another Project unless I load that Project up at the same time.

I would like to request a change to Screensets. Would it be possible to have a default Screenset Settings which could be used across all Projects? Or, the ability to set a Screenset Setting as a default which I could load into a Project without having to load another Project.

19 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Workspaces are a superset of screen sets and can be used for this purpose.

If you are saying that Screensets are stored with the Workspace, then this doesn't work for me.

If I setup a Screenset and save the Workspace there is no Screenset saved when I load up another project and Select my saved Workspace. What happens is, the Screenset which was saved is used when the project is saved.

To me, Screensets are Project level regardless if I had setup a Screenset with Workspaces and use that Worspace.

9 minutes ago, zaquria said:

If you are saying that Screensets are stored with the Workspace, then this doesn't work for me.

I took it to mean that (1) you can use Workspaces to configure different UI arrangements and (2) then switch Workspaces as needed so that (3) the Workspaces can serve the same purpose as Screensets (and a whole lot more!!!).  With this approach, it is as if you have Screensets that change the UI in predictable ways on a global basis--that is, for many projects.

Edited by User 905133
to add a missing word

26 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I took it to mean that (1) you can use Workspaces to configure different UI arrangements and (2) then switch Workspaces as needed so that (3) the Workspaces can serve the same purpose as Screensets (and a whole lot more!!!).  With this approach, it is as if you have Screensets that change the UI in predictable ways on a global basis--that is, for many projects.

No, I want a Global Screenset which I can use across all Projects regardless of the Work Space or Project. Every-time I load up a Project, I have to either change the Screenset Manually or load up a Project with my preferred Screenset to Import it into the current Project.

I just want a Global Screensets which is the same regardless of which Project I load.

Also, saving a Screen set is a bit ambiguous to say the least. If I try to set Screenshot01 by Pressing 1, sometimes it loads up the previous saved position rather than saving it. Can there at least be a Save button for the Screen set pre-set instead?

16 minutes ago, zaquria said:

No, I want a Global Screenset which I can use across all Projects regardless of the Work Space or Project. Every-time I load up a Project, I have to either change the Screenset Manually or load up a Project with my preferred Screenset to Import it into the current Project.

This is a feature request (and given Noel's reply will likely not materialize). For now, screensets are a per-project setting. To have your screenset available in new projects create a template from an existing project that already has the screensets in it. Going forward, use the new template(s) for new projects and the new projects will inherit the screenset from the template(s).

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

10 minutes ago, scook said:

This is a feature request (and given Noel's reply will likely not materialize). For now, screensets are a per-project setting. To have your screenset available in new projects create a template from an existing project that already has the screensets in it. Going forward, use the new template(s) for new projects and the new projects will inherit the screenset from the template(s).

I already have a Default Project Template which I use for every New Project, and this Template has Workspaces and Screensets set to my preferences.

It is older Projects which use different (Sometimes all over the place) Screensets settings. I have to load up a Template to load Screenset settings, and doing this for 100's of previous Projects is time consuming and not practical.

Noel said that Screensets are a subset of Workspaces, I believe this mean't that the Screensets settings would be saved along with a User saved Workspaces and Projects loaded would use the Workspace Screenset settings not the Project Settings.

28 minutes ago, zaquria said:

It is older Projects which use different (Sometimes all over the place) Screensets settings. I have to load up a Template to load Screenset settings, and doing this for 100's of previous Projects is time consuming and not practical.

Sounds like a good autohotkey project

1 hour ago, zaquria said:

Noel said that Screensets are a subset of Workspaces, I believe this mean't that the Screensets settings would be saved along with a User saved Workspaces and Projects loaded would use the Workspace Screenset settings not the Project Settings. 

I stand corrected.

Edited by User 905133
to remove speculation

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 4:19 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Workspaces are a superset of screen sets and can be used for this purpose.

Are you saying that using Workspaces makes Screensets obsolete? I've been trying to use them together on a single project with no luck. I'll worry about other projects once I've got one working.

Right now I've got a Workspace definition with the Screenset box not checked that loads one of the screensets that I want to use for mixing, but I have several other screensets I'd like to be able to easily toggle to. With the Workspace Screenset box not checked, Screensets are unavailable in that Workspace. If I check the box, I can't get the Workspace to load that screenset that it will load with the screenset box not checked. I've tried defining a screenset (1) that matches the one I want, but have been unsuccessful.

Is there some trick I'm missing? Or should I abandon screensets, which wouldn't bother me, and define more Workspaces for the other screensets I'd like to have available. I just want to take advantage of the workflow tools Cakewalk offers to move around as repeatably and quickly as possible.

Strictly as a hobbyist I have played around with Workspaces.  I believe you are correct: telling a custom Workspace to exclude Screensets from the GUI disables screenset functionality when that specific Workspace has been selected.

Edited by User 905133
to simply my observations
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 6:03 PM, zaquria said:

To clarify, I meant that Workspaces save the same DATA that a given screenset saves. However the workspace wont save the set of screensets themselves.
Screensets are intended to record per project view configurations. Workspaces are wider and only store settings and view configurations at a global level. 
In the 2020.05 release we fixed some problems where screensets and workspaces were affecting certain global settings, causing problems.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:15 PM, Bill Phillips said:

Are you saying that using Workspaces makes Screensets obsolete? I've been trying to use them together on a single project with no luck. I'll worry about other projects once I've got one working.

No. Screensets have a different function in that they allow you to store 10 view snapshots at the project level. So you can have different view layouts zoomed in views etc, customized to that specific project. Edit: That said, a workspace with all of the checkboxes turned off apart from "View Layout" can is essentually a screenset. So you could save multiple "screensets" this way as workspaces.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 5:23 PM, zaquria said:

I just want a Global Screensets which is the same regardless of which Project I load.

Also, saving a Screen set is a bit ambiguous to say the least. If I try to set Screenshot01 by Pressing 1, sometimes it loads up the previous saved position rather than saving it. Can there at least be a Save button for the Screen set pre-set instead?

There is nothing stopping you today from using workspaces for that purpose. A workspace with all of the checkboxes turned off apart from "View Layout" is essentially a global screenset.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1