How do you draw in smooth pitch automation without it sounding like stutter as it shifts from one tone to the next?

Fabian Jac

Question

Hi

I find myself gravitating more and more towards Cakewalk by BandLab, but I am frustrated by its pitch bend function. It sounds normal when playing live, but it never comes out smoothly when recording the midi keyboard or even drawing in the pitch bend automation manually. I prefer doing it manually at times, but drawing it in is such a tedious job. Anyway, for some reason it sounds more like stutter as it shifts from one tone to the next.

Is there a way to get the pitch bend smoother? Below is a quick picture I drew to let you know what I am talking about. How do I get it like the first example and not the second one? In other DAWs you work with nodes and it is so easy to get smooth pitch bend sounds.

What am I missing? Please help me.

Automation Example.png

Edited by Fabian Jac
Spelling

5 answers to this question

Turn off Snap. Right-Click the Draw Tool to select Line Mode to draw the controllers. Left-Click where the series of controllers will start then click and drag the cursor to where you want the series of controllers to stop and let up the left mouse button. Use Freehand Mode similarly, but it doesn't automatically create straight lines like Line Mode Does.

507336480_DrawTool1.JPG.d272820c65b5a44ee6947c59695a3eff.JPG

645851862_DrawToolLine.JPG.1308bb4a0d3a7b8d16145ce63f217a13.JPG

Resolution when drawing in the PRV is determined by the snap setting. Either use a smaller duration when snap is enabled or turn snap off.

Depending on the plug-in, better results may be had with plug-in automation. Automation may also be used for MIDI data as well in the track view.

You'll never get smooth lines.   It's digital and event based.

What scook and Chappel said...Turn Off Snap Grid.  I usually turn the snap settings to 10 ticks before drawing pitch bends.  That gives events that sound smooth but doesn't overload with synth with too many events.

Edited by RobertWS

Ditto on all that. AND it's a great opportunity for "Secondary Snap" settings. With a much higher res snap setting or snap off in the secondary setting, you can temporarily engage it by holding the N key down while drawing out your envelope with the Freehand setting. This is made all the more brilliant with a touchscreen and pen!