Something NEW Coming From Spitfire May 7th

cclarry

Just go this...tomorrow is the day!

Thank you for applying for a free copy of BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover.

The wait is almost over — you'll receive a "Ready To Download" email tomorrow. In the meantime, we have created a few simple videos to help you get to composing as quickly as possible — covering the contents, download and installation process.

• Like 3

They sent me email saying I could "preview" the sale, but they didn't explain the rules or how that worked exactly.  When I go there and login I do see libraries at 40% off (bundles too but the savings there aren't so fixed, it varies).  I think the sale goes public later this week or something.  Not exactly sure.  Spitfire have become more marketing machine than audio library developer; twisted and evil.

Also I really hate how they price everything in different currencies so I end up paying more in dollars than I would if I could pay in GBP without the 20% Vat.

• Like 1

Just installed..

The best think I like about this is the player, logical & easy to set up (although it would be nice load instances a la Kontakt instead of individual.) Wish the room/ reverb could be adjusted lower. Some arts, esp horns & winds sounds unnatural. There's also vol. level inconsistencies between arts  (maybe because this is the light version?)

I also notice when the dyn. level is @ 100 % when selecting new presets w/o automation on the track. Should be 0 (unless there's an option somewhere in the player I'm mot finding) Loaded all instruments & briefly used it, seems light on resources which is always nice. ( basic  presets & no mics of course)

For a free light version / demo this could certainly be used  for writing & in combination with other libraries. It has some nice sounds.

Even $49.00 isn't a bad price for students or those looking for a first time orch. purchase library.

• Like 1

Just had a very quick run through the sounds - strings are pleasant - though not keen on tremolo arts. except at the highest registers. Woodwinds are very meh - especially the oboes - my favourite instrument  - as I thought on hearing the demo videos. Brass ok but not outstanding. Percussion pretty good and possibly most usable.

I can see me using some of the sounds but mostly I'll stick to Garritan PO5 and Miroslav Philharmonik 

A good introduction to orchestral sounds - though given I picked up both Miroslav CE and Garritan PO5 for around the same price as this would have been if I hadn't filled in the questionnaire it doesn't seem like an outstanding deal - I can see its use though for people who have the full version and want a light version for portability

The size of the library is a good reflection of the sounds on offer

What do others think?

Forgot to say - I love the interface!

Edited by JoeGBradford
  • Like 2

Still hate their player.  I might as well install Waves plugins.  By nature their setup prefers a single machine and getting it installed on a 2nd machine is such a hassle. This is another example of developers spending more time on trying to protect their product.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

Just had a very quick run through the sounds - strings are pleasant - though not keen on tremolo arts. except at the highest registers. Woodwinds are very meh - especially the oboes - my favourite instrument  - as I thought on hearing the demo videos. Brass ok but not outstanding. Percussion pretty good and possibly most usable.

I can see me using some of the sounds but mostly I'll stick to Garritan PO5 and Miroslav Philharmonik 

A good introduction to orchestral sounds - though given I picked up both Miroslav CE and Garritan PO5 for around the same price as this would have been if I hadn't filled in the questionnaire it doesn't seem like an outstanding deal - I can see its use though for people who have the full version and want a light version for portability

The size of the library is a good reflection of the sounds on offer

What do others think?

Forgot to say - I love the interface!

I really like the interface also.  For something of this size, I'm pretty impressed by the sounds.  NO, they're nothing great...
But it sits in less than 200 mb of HD space...that's pretty crazy really...

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I really like the interface also.  For something of this size, I'm pretty impressed by the sounds.  NO, they're nothing great...
But it sits in less than 200 mb of HD space...that's pretty crazy really...

Very fair comment Larry - quite remarkable really - some of the LABS are that size and more IIRC

• Like 2

I hope to get my own copy soon enough. The sounds have the right quality for video game music.
My only beef with spitfire is the way the installer/player simply loses its mind after I install / uninstall unrelated software.

Having a single computer means I sometimes need to use other software.
And right now, from time to time the player simply stops working and I have to reinstall the whole "spitfire audio" app from scratch.

As is, the spitfire app should be the final app you install on your PC and then you lock it down & create a restore point basically.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Still hate their player.  I might as well install Waves plugins.  By nature their setup prefers a single machine and getting it installed on a 2nd machine is such a hassle. This is another example of developers spending more time on trying to protect their product.

I installed it on two machines without having to contact anyone.

It is a fantastic freebie that doesn't take up a lot of space.  

I do think they need to update it so it can actaully see what is installed on your machine instead of the app just pulling your account history.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

Don't forget marketing. The 'free library' incitement is getting a usable lite demo (which is rare for orch. libraries so a  smart move by them, similar to vsl's Big Bang freebie) By doing the survey they get your email plus possibly future sales.

Edited by Hidden Symmetry
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 4:32 AM, Matthew Sorrels said:

So watching the videos it looks like they have set it up so that if you load a project made with the Pro or Core BBCSO and only have Discover it will still work.  You'll see the "Pro/Core" articulation and it will actually play back.  But substitute with the closest match for the version of BBCSO you have.  Which explains why I could see the articulations in Discover mode and they actually worked.  Which means the stripped down template may actually be better since it will put the drum parts on their own tracks, even for Discover users.  Which is maybe easier to use than having to remember/look up/find by hunting which key is which of the drum articulations.

Of course this also means you could just use the Pro template as is.  Everything will work, it just won't sound the same.  Definitely an interesting feature.  Should make it nice for students and teachers.

I still think the pricing is a bit crazy on this, even the sale price feels off to me.  If the sale prices they have now were the normal prices and they had sale pricing on top of that I'd say it was about right.  It will be interesting to see if they put it on sale more in the future.

Thanks so much for putting together the template Matthew. I have just opened it and all seemed ok - I just had to edit my midi input for each track. Saved so much work! As you say all the different articulations are there but they just play the most appropriate sound in Discover.  Could you tell me what the Print tracks are please?

It will be interesting to do a direct comparison with projects where I have used Miroslav Philharmonik and Garritan. I would imagine though that the most successful approach might be to use elements from each library. After a couple of initial run through of the sounds the strings and percussion in Discover appear to be the strongest elements with the woodwinds being the weakest 

1 hour ago, JoeGBradford said:

Could you tell me what the Print tracks are please?

So the way the template is routed, all the tracks for each group (Woods, Brass, Keys, Perc, Strings) route to a AUX patch point.  These patch points feed into the Stem aux tracks which then feed into the Full Mix patch point.  The full mix patch point feeds into the Master bus (so you can hear it).  The Stem tracks can be armed for recording (and/or saved/exported) so that you can save a version of the stem without any effects.  The print tracks are the same as the stem tracks, but with whatever effects you add on the stem tracks.

So if you need to provide clean stems, with no effects, you can record the stem tracks.  If you need to provide stems with effects, put the effects on the stem tracks and record the print tracks.  It's kind of a waterfall, each level can be recorded and/or output but that won't include any effects added on that level.  Splitting the stems and the print levels means you have an extra shelf you can add effects to.  Just don't add effects or make any volume changes to the print tracks since it won't get passed.

One thing this template doesn't have is any reverb track routing.  It's not hard to add that but it's not there.  Sections also aren't broken down into high/mid/low groups either.  Which might be something you'd want (so you could do effects on all the low strings for example and different effects on the high strings).

I really wish there was an easier way to select a track and then connect the synth that goes with it.  You can go the other way in the Synth Rack, but you can't connect a synth from the track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Has anyone tried the Spitfire Solo Violin? I don't do very much with strings, and just use NI's Session Strings if I need a pad or something. Still, I've had fun with the Tina Guo cello, and would like to add a nicely scripted/playable equivalent for violin.

8 hours ago, Craig Fowler said:

Has anyone tried the Spitfire Solo Violin? I don't do very much with strings, and just use NI's Session Strings if I need a pad or something. Still, I've had fun with the Tina Guo cello, and would like to add a nicely scripted/playable equivalent for violin.

Joshua Bell Violin is flat out better.  Perhaps the most playable Kontakt instrument ever really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1