Something NEW Coming From Spitfire May 7th

cclarry

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I don't feel bad about filling out the survey even though I have money.

The chances of me buying this  are  zero. I consider this a demo.  If I like it, I'll buy it. 

I've sent them large sums of money for two Spitfire libraries I've never used once.   Never even load them up to play for fun.   And Spitfire won't allow me to resell them, so that's just the way it goes. 

But in this case I do get to try it out and they get my data, and maybe my money too.  And if I like it I will praise it on forums like this.  And if I don't like it, I'll probably remove it from my hard drive like the other stuff. 

Which ones did you get and not like, RR?

Discover can be had for free, is a relatively tiny download and provides a wealth of sounds. I immediately alerted people I know. I think it is a little churlish to be overly critical of an initiative that could enable many people to make music. Perhaps I know too many young people who downloaded the otherwise excellent Reaper but were baffled when "it didn't make any sounds"? Reaper is not free but is a small download: these things matter to people used to app stores...

So I stripped my template down to the Discover instruments but I'm not so sure it's going to work right for people without the full BBCSO.  In my template I have all the percussion instruments as separate tracks.  This is because in Pro BBCSO they have actual articulations also.  In Discover though there is only the Untuned percussion choice (which has each percussion instrument on a single note).  But when I open the say track Snare 1, it is in Discover mode but it shows the Snare 1 articulation (a view I can't get normally from Discover mode).  So I don't think that will work if you don't have the Pro BBCSO.  The answer would be to remove all those percussion tracks and just leave the one Untuned one I guess.  But someone with the cut down version will need to tell me what happens when you open up Snare 1.  If you see this:

Et1ulq.jpg

You can download the Cakewalk template here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11vrPhsRW2c6jOSNLUxTHY9NwP5Kc1gBu

Someone with only Discover will have to tell me if the drum tracks work.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fleer said:

Which ones did you get and not like, RR?

Reading my comment.... it sounds kinda harsh.  Spitfire made Tundra, one of my favorite libraries.   I think they are a great company. 

One of the libraries I fell for their sales pitch on was an Evo.   They really got me excited y the evo idea.  But you know, when I got it home it just wasn't for me.   You only know that when you really try it out for a while.  Video demos can only take you so far.   Nothing wrong with the library at all. Just not for me.   

The other one was Albion ONE, which I picked up on a flash 50% sale around this time last year.   GAS.   That's on me.   Maybe I'll find a use for it someday.  Just haven't yet.  It probably would have been better to get Albion long ago, before I got all  the things I have today.  There are definitely some nice things in there that I need to explore.  But I wish I never bought it.

• Thanks 1

I do like Albion ONE for all those different tidbits I wouldn’t have thought of otherwise. But I indeed love Tundra and NEO as they’re my kind of “silent” music. I also got eDNA and British Drama Toolkit, both quite nice, plus some smaller ones. Nevertheless, it’s BBCSO that rules them all for me. Simply crazy to have that famous BBC Symphony Orchestra at your fingertips. 

• Like 1

So watching the videos it looks like they have set it up so that if you load a project made with the Pro or Core BBCSO and only have Discover it will still work.  You'll see the "Pro/Core" articulation and it will actually play back.  But substitute with the closest match for the version of BBCSO you have.  Which explains why I could see the articulations in Discover mode and they actually worked.  Which means the stripped down template may actually be better since it will put the drum parts on their own tracks, even for Discover users.  Which is maybe easier to use than having to remember/look up/find by hunting which key is which of the drum articulations.

Of course this also means you could just use the Pro template as is.  Everything will work, it just won't sound the same.  Definitely an interesting feature.  Should make it nice for students and teachers.

I still think the pricing is a bit crazy on this, even the sale price feels off to me.  If the sale prices they have now were the normal prices and they had sale pricing on top of that I'd say it was about right.  It will be interesting to see if they put it on sale more in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Well, I am not what you would call a typical orchestral arranger for sure but I have gotten used to the one instance per instrument. I think things have stayed pretty much the same with just subtle updates to the library itself. I REALLY love the Strings, especially the Con Sordino articulations, they are so glassy and beautiful. A lot of the issues I hear others mention is with the sound itself as it was recorded in the large studio space which gives the sounds a wetter feel than some are looking for. It is definitely not a dry library but very beautiful. I am also still getting used to using the controllers to work with Expression, vibrato, etc. hich I have mapped usin gmy nanoKONTROL.

Definitely more to come as I discover more.

Thanks, I'll try the free survey demo. From what I've heard online I'm not that crazy about the reverb, some of the brass & winds sounds but could get used for sketching or in combo with other libs.. The Core version looks temping but will wait.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 7:47 AM, Cristian said:

How about a fix for their installer to stop messing up the libraries... :) 
Imagine buying something like Hans Zimmer Strings: an expensive, proprietary (i.e. non-Kontakt) library.
You can only download it a few times and then the installer messes it up.

Please tell me which player other than Kontakt plays Kontakt files.

A definition of proprietary might be needed here.

16 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Please tell me which player other than Kontakt plays Kontakt files.

A definition of proprietary might be needed here.

Yeah it was a bit silly of me to put it that way.
TBH, before Kontakt 5 plenty of players could actually play (or at least try to) Kontakt files.

Still, Kontakt libraries are somewhat more open in many ways.
If you have full Kontakt you can manipulate individual sample parameters for one.

Compared to that, Spitfire's own player not only limits what you can do, but it also has bugs that Kontakt doesn't have.
Don't get me wrong, I understand Spitfire's desire to get away from Kontakt.
And it's normal for their player to be a work in progress, it's a young piece of software.
Bugs are bound to happen until it becomes stable enough for a majority of their users.

But I can't help feel that Spitfire is treating users like beta testers.

And this is fine for free (such as LABS) or cheap $29-$39 libraries.

But it's not fine for libraries that cost $300 - $700 and come with limited downloads/authorizations in a program that is known to occasionally corrupt its own data.

Edited by Cristian

On 5/7/2020 at 8:07 PM, Gnarls said:

I should probably clarify that I was not in any way referring to the Sample Library Review. Don's pronunciation of "Maida Vale" was priceless! 

yeah took me a while to realise where he meant!

The woodwinds in there sound a bit dodgy. Strings and brass probably usable but not sure there's anything there that's better than Garritan or Miroslav that I have already - though appreciate this is a good deal for anyone starting out - especially at the questionnaire price!

This is pretty amazing. Delighted to play with the Pro version in the studio, use the Core version on a laptop and the Discover version on a netbook. And you can easily collaborate with others, even when they only have Discover. Meanwhile, a shout out to Simeon for helping out with my stupidity. That guy rocks. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1