Can't Scrub all tracks?

RobertWS

Question

I have a song with multiple MIDI tracks.

In PRV (Piano Roll View) I can press the letter 'J' and drag (scrub) the mouse over the notes and hear them.

The online help has this:  Tip: To hear the clips in all audio tracks, drag with the Scrub tool in the horizontal ruler.

I tried this and get nothing.   Am I missing something?

Edited by RobertWS

6 answers to this question

I noticed this was a problem back in October of 2018.  I brought it up to Jonathan Sasor through email, but I guess it dropped off his priority list.  I used this a lot (I guess I'm "old school") and was disappointed when it stopped working.  Cakewalk was one of the few DAWs that had this feature.

Here's how to reproduce the issue in case anyone else wants to try it.  It also explains how to get out of the "captured mouse cursor".

1. Open CbB
  2. Choose File/New
  3. Select Empty Project on the New Project File dialog and press OK
  4. Open Windows File Explorer and browse to an audio file
  5. Drag 4 copies of the audio file into CbB all starting at 1:01:000 to create 4 audio tracks
  6. Using the cursor on the time line, select a span within the range of the audio. This will create a selection range, selecting all tracks and creating selected range in each of the audio tracks.
  7. Position the cursor on the time line and within the previously selected time span and press and hold the J key on the keyboard to begin the “Jog” operation. (If you see the magnifier when you position the cursor, you are too high on the time line.)
  8. Press and hold the primary mouse button on the time line within the previously selected time span to start a “Jog” operation and drag the cursor to later in the time line.
  9. Release the mouse button.
  10. Release the J key on the keyboard.

The expected result is that the “Jog” operation is started on step 8 and finished on step 9 leaving the Now Time positioned at the point you  released the mouse button in step 9.

The actual result is:

• Upon performing step 8, the Now Time is moved immediately to where the mouse button was pressed and remains.
  • Dragging the cursor in the time line does not perform the “Jog” operation.
  • Upon release of the mouse button, the cursor is “stuck” on the time line and cannot be moved out of the bounds of the time line.

My workaround to "free" the "captured" cursor is to switch to another window on the desktop, then back to CbB, then position the cursor on one of the audio tracks and press the mouse button to clear the “Jog” cursor.

Anyone care to reproduce?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul

Edited by kellerpj
highlight detail reproduction requirements

I was unaware that pressing the J key activated a scrub tool! I just tried it and it did play only the audio but boy is ever buggy.. It wouldn't respond after a few swipes ,, then it started playing a choppy part and held my mouse ransom for a good 3 minutes. I'll not be doing that again. 

Particularly with multiple tracks - You're probably asking your CPU to do a heck of a lot of work. I think it has to grab all that data - stick it in ram and then perform time stretching in real time on each track to scrub.   - or maybe it does some kind of internal bounce to a hidden track of sorts then treats it as a single track or thread , and that's why there's  an online temp mode  and an offline render mode with significant difference in audio quality. I think the new elastique rendering provides a better quality algo-rhythm for this kind of work. Don't know for sure - but that's my uneducated guess.

@RobertWS & @kellerpj,

The issues you describe share the issue of using the scrub feature.  The difference is one user is scrubbing midi while the other user scrubs audio.  It appears the scrub feature is broke.

While I understand kellerpj contacted Jonathan Sasor via email, I've found informal reports can easily be overlooked or forgotten over time.  May I suggest both of you submit a formal support request  In addition to describing the issue you have with jog I would provide a link to this forum thread so the developers can easily understand the jog feature has an issue handling either midi or audio.

From what I've read, kellerpj has responded in several forum threads addressing issues with jog so the feature seems to be commonly used.

The Cakealk by BandLab tab at the top of each webpage has an indirect link to the support request webpage.  Here is a direct link to the webpage:  https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

Submitting a support request will help the developers create a stable and reliable product for all CbB users.

Thanks for your response.  Appreciate the suggestion. 

Actually, I did file a report and the response from Jonathan I referenced was in response to that report.  (The report was filed using the system in place before this forum was available.) 

Jonathan did try to reproduce the issue, but could not. (Most likely because I had not been specific enough in my instructions to reproduce the issue.) 

Because of his response, I questioned whether it was a system configuration issue on my system.  It took a while for me to determine that it wasn't an issue with my system. However, to verify my findings, I wanted to see if anyone else was having the issue.  Thus my post with the revised recipe for reproducing the issue.  Indeed others seem to be having similar issues with the job function. 

I've found a usable workaround for now, which is to only jog with the cursor on a single track, not on the time line. The drawback with that is you only hear the track on which you are jogging, not all tracks. 

Thanks again, 

Paul