Guitar Rig 5 compatibility

Cathulhu91

Question

Just wanted to know if Guitar Rig 5 is compatible to Cakewalk as a plug in, I've read other forums and haven't really gotten a clear answer. Simply put, is there a way I can record live guitar with the effects of GR5 on my Cakewalk DAW? Or do I have to just record on GR5 and then import that file? 

4 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Cathulhu91 said:

Just wanted to know if Guitar Rig 5 is compatible to Cakewalk as a plug in

Yes

12 hours ago, Cathulhu91 said:

is there a way I can record live guitar with the effects of GR5 on my Cakewalk DAW?

Yes

There is some delay when monitoring through the DAW. How much depends on the I/O buffer setting of the audio interface driver and any plug-in delay compensation for other plug-ins in the project.

Also the DAW records the signal at a track's input. This means the signal recorded from the track hosting Guitar Rig is the dry signal from the audio interface.

To record the signal after the FX rack requires routing the signal from the track hosting Guitar Rig to another track. This is done by setting the track output or a send to a patch point or aux track. If using a patch point, another track is setup to receive the signal from the patch point. Then record enable the aux track or second track for recording to capture the wet signal. It is a good idea when recording this way to also record the dry signal on the original track.

• Like 1

Not an answer to your question, but an alternate method. GR5 works great for processing a recorded guitar signal in Cakewalk. A big problem in recording live guitar is how you listen to the guitar parts you are playing while recording them. I have had good results using a passive direct box to record the straight guitar signal while sending an output to my guitar amplifier for monitoring. No worries about latency or feedback. All you need is a direct box (I paid less than $30 for one) and an amplifier.

One advantage of recording the direct guitar signal is that you can take your time and find the right GR5 sounds (or TH3, etc.) you want, even layer different GR5 sounds using multiple tracks.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

This is what Guitar Rig is designed to do. You plug your guitar in and run it through your DAW getting whatever guitar sound you want. You need to use it at about 64ms latency or lower for best feel, just like every amp sim. If you run a higher latency, there will be a delay between you hitting the strings and the sound coming out. Some can use it at 128 but the numbers are not necessarily accurate, you have to go by your ears to get a feel that is good to you.

To use it, you just insert it as a normal effect in Cakewalk, plug your guitar in and there you go. Just need to make sure it's active and the meters in Guitar Rig are working to tell you it's receiving a signal. Hit input monitoring. Depending on your interface you want to make sure that you are not also hearing the direct input from your guitar coming back at you from the interface ie that the signal is going through the DAW and back only.

If you want to run it on a separate FX track then follow Scook's advice.

Guitar Rig benefits by using some decent impulse responses that you might get third hand and you can run them through RefleKtor.