Sampled Piano notes not balanced

I can't EQ it because it will mess up the tone so - Midi plugin?

The left hand is louder than the right hand a little.  It there a fix for this? I would like to scale the velocity by notes.  Below middle C slope the volume down, or above C5 slope velocity up.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Max Arwood

For a one-off I would go about it like this:

1. Select your track
2. Edit->Select->By Filter, and edit the note range for notes below middle C
3. Process->Scale Velocity (pick something like 75 percent)
4. Clear the selection & select your track again
5. Edit->Select->By Filter, and edit the note range for notes above middle C
6. Process->Scale Velocity (pick something like 115 percent)

However, if I was going to do this a lot I'd probably knock together a CAL script based on C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\CAL Scripts\Scale Velocity.cal:

(do
  (include "need20.cal")  ; Require version 2.0 or higher of CAL

(int percentL 100)
  (int percentH 100)
  (getInt percentL "Below Middle C Percentage?" 1 1000)
  (getInt percentH "Above Middle C Percentage?" 1 1000)

(forEachEvent
    (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
      (do
         (if (>= Note.Key 60)
           (do
             (*= Note.Vel percentH)
             (/= Note.Vel 100)
           )
         )
         (if (<  Note.Key 60)
           (do
             (*= Note.Vel percentL)
             (/= Note.Vel 100)
           )
         )
      )
    )
  )
)
  • Like 1

I could do it in the piano roll by selecting different octaves or 1/2 octaves and dropping by a percent. Lots of trouble. I was hoping some where I could draw a curved line on a graph. The only ones I know about are like CS multicompander.   The VST had velocity curves (CFX Concert Grand) but \tThey affect all frequencies and only differentiate by in coming velocity amount. I see where the CAL would work.  I haven't studied CAL or written any scripts yet. Not sure If I could do it or not.

Thanks,

Max ARwood

13 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I could do it in the piano roll by selecting different octaves or 1/2 octaves and dropping by a percent. Lots of trouble. I was hoping some where I could draw a curved line on a graph. The only ones I know about are like CS multicompander.   The VST had velocity curves (CFX Concert Grand) but \tThey affect all frequencies and only differentiate by in coming velocity amount. I see where the CAL would work.  I haven't studied CAL or written any scripts yet. Not sure If I could do it or not.

Thanks,

Max ARwood

The CAL script I posted should do it.

1. Copy it into notepad and save it as something like ScaleVelMidC.cal in C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\CAL Scripts
  2. Select your MIDI clip and then press CTRL + F1 
  3. Choose ScaleVelMidC.cal
  4. It prompts for the percentage below middle C.  To make it quieter, put in a value like 75
  5. Then it prompts for the percentage for middle C & above - to make it louder, put in something between 115 and 125.

• Thanks 1

Wow a drum map! Never thought of that.  I saw that it has Velo(+only) and VScale(+ or -).  Never used these before so I tried a few notes to see how well it would work.  If I finished then it would convert all the songs.

Next Question - I have been playing with a drum map.  Is there any way to get the percussion dots to look like a normal  PVR with lengths when I am finished? This would take a crazy amount of time to do this because there is no specific note where the volume jumps.  Each note would have to tweaked. I still might like to look at the note lengths and it is much easier to see the notes with length visible. I wish I could write a 88 note bar chart kind of CSMultiCompander.

Thanks,

Max Arwood