Horizontal zoom-Now Time indicator centers still

Ray

Question

Hi

Anyone know if there is a way to use a keyboard shortcut for horizontal zoom, other than Ctrl+Arrow, and not have the now time indicator center plz?  I've tried binding other keys, but they won't keep the now time in place while it zooms.

Tkx, Ray

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Hi

Anyone know if there is a way to use a keyboard shortcut for horizontal zoom, other than Ctrl+Arrow, and not have the now time indicator center plz?  I've tried binding other keys, but they won't keep the now time in place while it zooms.

Tkx, Ray

Are you on the most recent update? The behavior for this has changed in 2020.04. 

Hi

Yes i am.  It is very strange that in settings, a keyboard shortcut bound to the same action as another keyboard shortcut, both wouldn't produce the same response.  Computers are hard.🤔

3 hours ago, Ray said:

Hi

Yes i am.  It is very strange that in settings, a keyboard shortcut bound to the same action as another keyboard shortcut, both wouldn't produce the same response.  Computers are hard.🤔

Separate keyboard shortcuts being bound to the same action is a peculiarity of Cakewalk and causes quite a bit of confusion to be sure. You are not alone in that regard!

Also (if I understand your question) you can set your mouse wheel to horizontally zoom in/out (along with ALT, CTRL, and SHIFT as modifiers) with the cursor as the focus, leaving the Now Time wherever it is (which will then likely pass out of the screen as you zoom somewhere else). This is done in Track View's Options tab.

Otherwise, you can go the Track View category in the Key Bindings settings and bind something to the action "Fast zoom" in and/or out.  This will also zoom with the cursor as the focus.

Edited by winkpain

Hi

Two keyboard shortcuts for the same action is ok.  What is confusing about that?  I'll explore the options you suggest about the mouse wheel...tks!

11 hours ago, Ray said:

Hi

Two keyboard shortcuts for the same action is ok.  What is confusing about that?  I'll explore the options you suggest about the mouse wheel...tks!

Well, let's just say it has caused me a lot of confusion , perhaps self-induced, as I wasn't aware it was "allowed" (I am familiar with other programs having key bindings settings that ask "Are you sure" when you attempt to bind something that is already bound) and hadn't noticed the tangled mess of multiple similar bindings I had built up over the years. I am one of those who needs this "Are you sure" with everything (and infinite undo's) 🙄  It seems I misunderstood your comment there.

But yes, I can confirm the successful zooming either with a custom binding or mouse wheel with the Now Time staying put.