Placeholder for Studio One 5

cclarry

I disagree on Mixcraft's GUI. Still looks dated, it doesn't look modern at all, anyone with PAINT could make those graphics. Probably if it wasn't for the GUI, I would be using it. Just maybe...

5 hours ago, Carlos said:

I disagree on Mixcraft's GUI. Still looks dated, it doesn't look modern at all, anyone with PAINT could make those graphics. Probably if it wasn't for the GUI, I would be using it. Just maybe...

I think you're talking about 8.  9 has a new interface.

6 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

Is mixcraft's transport still in the middle of the screen? 

Yes, but it it now removable, and can be placed at the top, or allowed to float

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

My point still stands:

I'm cool with the v9 interface.

There's another school of thought that visual stimulation should be limited so as to have a minimal affect on auditory function.  So, in that line of thinking,  REAPER has the most conducive interface for making music.  😁

Edited by pbognar
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, pbognar said:

There's another school of thought that visual simulation should be limited so as to have a minimal affect on auditory function.  So, in that line of thinking,  REAPER has the most conducive interface for making music.  😁

I use Reaper ;( (hahaha)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, pbognar said:

There's another school of thought that visual simulation should be limited so as to have a minimal affect on auditory function.  So, in that line of thinking,  REAPER has the most conducive interface for making music.  😁

There is this eye candy movement in just about everything. I find it annoying looking at PC parts like fans.

I mean if you want to talk about modern interfaces Tracktion and Ableton are technically the most modern in terms of UI while still being traditional.

AIR's Ignite was even more modern and sought a somewhat novel approach to making music.

REAPER is very much an open book. The default GUI layout looks a lot like your average FOSS DAW - it works, but it's not incredibly efficient.
It's advantage is customization, leading to themes like PiolitFM or Eyssina that change the feel of the program a fair bit.

It really depends on your level of experience, the kind of mentorship you can access, what kind of music you're making and, most importantly, how much time you are willing and able to put in.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that what some people miss about older DAWs is the efficiency of their workflow and lack of hardware latency, not the grey, drab, borderline non-functional GUIs.

Edited by Cristian
  • Like 1

Have been with Studio One since....err...1. I have never completely gotten used to the dark background that started with 3, and wish they would go back to the 2 colors. For  me, the primary criteria for a DAW GUI is that 1) the DAW’s functions should all be logically located and easily accessible; and 2) it should be ergonomically easy on the eyes. I do not care at all if its color scheme is trendy or even pretty (so long as it is not flat out butt ugly).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

I have never completely gotten used to the dark background  ... it should be ergonomically easy on the eyes. 

Darker is way easier on the eyes though. Plus you can make Studio One white if you want.

3 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Darker is way easier on the eyes though. Plus you can make Studio One white if you want.

Not really, it's not a matter of black vs white. I find black very off putting and very hard on my eyes,  bright white is also bad. Having a nice balance of subtle pastel coloring works for me. I can stare at my Cubase screen all day. It's the only DAW I've used where I can think only about the music and am not bugged about some GUI annoyance. But the way it comes stock is also horrible. It's only because I can change it in a way I cannot in other DAW's. I can set up my piano roll in Studio One how I like but then everything else is still black, the surrounds the track headers, the side menus etc and if you click their inbuilt instrument it just gets blacker and blacker. You can change the track headers and mixer channels but it just looks like garish neon coloring over black, cartoonish and for me, horrible. I just cannot work with it at all and I spent a lot of time trying to adjust it.