Greyed out clip

SteenE

I asked this question in the old forum, but nobody knew the answer so I'll try again, because it's still an issue from time to time.

Right now  have one clip that's greyed out and I can't copy or move anything in the clip. I have tried cloning, but the new one is still grey. It's not muted or locked. Bounce to clip does not do anything. Anybody have any ideas ?

image.png.4a485c9027aa1cdb8a4b9fff43488355.png

We get this at times also. It is almost like the wave is not there, yes? There are 2 ways we have found to get it active again. Saving the project, closing down CBL and restarting it after a few mins break usually sorts the problem. If that doesn't work the other method we used was to double click on the wave and the clip properties will open on the left (with us it does anyway).  Toggle on and off any boxes such as clip lock, automation etc and see if that wakes it up.

It's a MIDI clip? I had similar grayed MIDI clip few times on the days of Sonar. (I don't know why it happened. It was suddenly.)
In my case, just press "e" key twice (Yes, it's a shortcut key for Bypass All Audio FX), that operation brought normal clip back. (I don't know why it works.)
I hope it helps...

2 minutes ago, HIBI said:

It's a MIDI clip? I had similar grayed MIDI clip few times on the days of Sonar. (I don't know why it happened. It was suddenly.)
In my case, just press "e" key twice (Yes, it's a shortcut key for Bypass All Audio FX), that operation brought normal clip back. (I don't know why it works.)
I hope it helps...

Yup, that did it !!  Thanks a lot

25 minutes ago, sealesb said:

We get this at times also. It is almost like the wave is not there, yes? There are 2 ways we have found to get it active again. Saving the project, closing down CBL and restarting it after a few mins break usually sorts the problem. If that doesn't work the other method we used was to double click on the wave and the clip properties will open on the left (with us it does anyway).  Toggle on and off any boxes such as clip lock, automation etc and see if that wakes it up.

Didn't help, but thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this topic is old, but I've had this issue pop up a few times and I wasn't able to find any guidance online as to what the cause was.  The problem - which only seemed to happen randomly - was that if I had an audio clip on one audio track and dragged it to certain other audio tracks, it would appear greyed out.  The clip wasn't muted, nor was it locked in the Clip Inspector, and it wouldn't play.  I could move it to some tracks and it was find, others greyed it out.

I finally came to the realization that every time this happened, the track to which I moved (or copied) the audio clip was a comp track with several takes.  So when this was happening, the moved or copied clip was being added to a new and inactive take lane under the hood.  It was still showing up on the audio track, but as the take wasn't selected it was greyed out and not played.  So all I had to do was expand the take lanes and make it an active clip, then it was no longer greyed out and played as expected.

Not sure if this is the same issue the OP was having, but this thread came up in my searches to solve my problem, so figured I'd post the solution I found.

Justin

Edited by JustinS
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday when I was working on some 2nd vocals it happened that moving a transient (I think it was the first one) caused to grey out the clip (not only visually, but also the audio). Neither with undo nor with moving it back I could make the clip contents appear again. The worst thing is that it happened in 2 other clips, too! As in your case I was working in take lanes. Even re-importing the clip(s) and doing it again led to the same undesired results. Only when I was inserting a new track, re-importing the clip to there and doing the edits again I had success.

Anyway, I think there are issues with working on take lanes, specifically if I move the contents within the clip area (alt + shift + drag). Following operations lead to strange behavior (e.g. a crossfade may move the contents of the 2nd clip). It seems that with some operations the internal values of clips get corrupted! Such problems are documented back to the Sonar Platinum times! I have almost given up that this will be fixed one day! 😆

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/26/2023 at 5:07 AM, David Feyler said:

Old thread, but... In my case, under the recording settings there's a "Mute Previous Takes" box that I learned to keep an eye on.   As mentioned, the "Clip Mute/Unmute" will fix the issue too after the fact. 

I needed help with a "grayed" out guitar clip (take) that I had  copied and pasted to a new session. It wouldn't play! This thread helped me fix it. It was simply brought back to life using the "Clip Mute/Unmute." I'll keep an eye on it, as you suggested. Thanks!