Selecting a track or clip

dwf2008

Question

There seems to be a nexus between selecting a track vs a clip that I don’t understand. Please help. I wanted to copy some midi data from track 3 to track 1, all 3 tracks have just 1 clip. I drag across the data that I want to copy from track 3 to select it and then ctrl+c. I then click on the track number of track 1 to select it and press ctrl+v to paste. The data ends up pasted to track 2 not track 1. I did this several times with the same result and then noticed the track name was highlighted on track 2.  So I highlighted the track name for track 1 and it worked as I wanted. So, can someone kindly explain the difference between selecting via the track number vs selecting via the track name? 

Thanks

1 answer to this question

Hi:) 

With the number highlighted the track is only selected. You can select more than 1 track by just hold the mouse on 1 track number and then drag over more track numbers. 

Now you can quick control volume or pan or any other parameter on all selected tracks, if you hold the Ctrl key on the PC Keyboard.

Select a time in the timeline and all clips  on all selected tracks in this region are highlighted.

The highlighted track name is the (only) active track on which is something copied on or to open the ProChannel Module or on which you selct clips or notes. 

Alt+S or Alt+M for solo or mute the active track, Alt+R for record arm  a.s.o. all commands for the active track.

For to record arm more than 1 track(mute, solo), you click or the record arm button and hold it adn drag through more tracks on this button to record arm these....

For more see some tutorials or read the manual (Track View, Arrange Clips, working with tracks, clips,  Console View(Mixer))

Bassman.