Korg Volca Sample

spacekid.90

Question

Hi there,

I have  a Volca Sample which only has MIDI in.

Will I be able to record into Cakewalk whatever I play on the Volca using  an  USB Audio interface? Specifically M-Audio Uno which has both MIDI in and MIDI out.

Thank you,

spacekid.90

7 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, spacekid.90 said:

I have  a Volca Sample which only has MIDI in.

Will I be able to record into Cakewalk whatever I play on the Volca using  an  USB Audio interface? Specifically M-Audio Uno which has both MIDI in and MIDI out.

If your audio interface has stereo line in, then you should be able to plug the headphone out of the volca sample in to the line in of your USB Audio interface using a suitable cable. 

Makes sure if you do this, you're not using an input that is expecting microphone levels as the output of the volca sample headphone out might be quite high compared to that of a microphone .   Start with the levels at the lowest possible levels and turn them up gradually until the levels are not in the red (or just occasionally bumping the red).  

Note: the M-Audio Uno is only a MIDI interface.  It is not an Audio interface.  This means the M-Audio Uno would not be suitable for this.  You would need an actual audio interface or a sound card that has line in sockets.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Promidi said:

If your audio interface has stereo line in, then you should be able to plug the headphone out of the volca sample in to the line in of your USB Audio interface using a suitable cable. 

Makes sure if you do this, you're not using an input that is expecting microphone levels as the output of the volca sample headphone out might be quite high compared to that of a microphone .   Start with the levels at the lowest possible levels and turn them up gradually until the levels are not in the red (or just occasionally bumping the red).  

Note: the M-Audio Uno is only a MIDI interface.  It is not an Audio interface.  This means the M-Audio Uno would not be suitable for this.  You would need an actual audio interface or a sound card that has line in sockets.

Thanks, Promidi! You saved me from buying an useless MIDI interface.

Cheers,

spacekid.90

On 5/1/2020 at 7:05 AM, Promidi said:

Hi Promidi, 

thanks again for your help.

To get back to the topic: does that mean that I do not need an audio interface with "MIDI Out" since it only needs to have "Stereo line in"?

As far as I understand now, there are two cables 1) MIDI and 2) Audio) 

1) 

MIDI Out from the audio interface connected to the MIDI In of the Volca only means signals can be sent from PC keyboard to play the notes on the Volca itself.

2)

Otherwise, if I want to send a  single note/sequence/loop to record into a DAW track audio cable is enough?

I hope I was clear :)

Cheers,

spacekid.90

That's correct.  there are two cables 1) MIDI and 2) Audio) 

The MIDI cable would be connected from the PC to the Volca.  This is so Cakewalk can control the Volca.

Then you need a stereo cable from the Volca to the PC.  This is so Cakewalk can record the audio from the Volca.

The audio cable would be enough - but it would be more versatile to be able to control the parameters of the volca from Cakewalk using CCs. 

I have checked the volca MIDI Implementation Chart and there are quite a few parameters you can control. 

Personally, I would pick up a USB to MIDI adapter if you don't already have 5 pin DIN MIDI outs from your PC.  (Some Audio interfaces also have 5 Pin DIN MIDI in/out ports)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Promidi said:

That's correct.  there are two cables 1) MIDI and 2) Audio) 

The MIDI cable would be connected from the PC to the Volca.  This is so Cakewalk can control the Volca.

Then you need a stereo cable from the Volca to the PC.  This is so Cakewalk can record the audio from the Volca.

The audio cable would be enough - but it would be more versatile to be able to control the parameters of the volca from Cakewalk using CCs. 

I have checked the volca MIDI Implementation Chart and there are quite a few parameters you can control. 

Personally, I would pick up a USB to MIDI adapter if you don't already have 5 pin DIN MIDI outs from your PC.  (Some Audio interfaces also have 5 Pin DIN MIDI in/out ports)

I appreciate your help, Promidi :)

Since PC/DAW  needs "line in" of an Audio Interface to receive the sounds from the Volca, I think I will go with an interface that has Audio In.

I would not like to control the Volca by Cakewalk for now. I'm glad the option exists though :)

Stupid question: what happens if I connect an audio cable from the  Volca's Out straight to the laptop's jack? 

Cheers,

spacekid.90

Edited by spacekid.90

59 minutes ago, spacekid.90 said:

I would not like to control the Volca by Cakewalk for now. I'm glad the option exists though :)

Stupid question: what happens if I connect an audio cable from the  Volca's Out straight to the laptop's jack? 

You will want to be able to send midi clock and start/stop commands from Cakewalk to the Volca, in order to sync both.

Your laptop input is meant to be a microphone input. It will record the Volca, but it will most probably sound awful. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JoseC said:

You will want to be able to send midi clock and start/stop commands from Cakewalk to the Volca, in order to sync both.

Your laptop input is meant to be a microphone input. It will record the Volca, but it will most probably sound awful. 

Thank you very much, JoseC :)