Still experiencing buggy Ripple edit with Duplicate...

winkpain

I am still very much being frustrated by this problem first mentioned here

Ripple edit continues to "randomly" stop functioning even when switched on or not persist 'though saved in the on state.

This is especially true in the PRV view- selected notes when duplicated do not ripple edit the following material but layer over it as if Ripple were off. Choosing the exact same notes in the inline PRV (or as a clip) in the Track view and duplicating does ripple edit as expected.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm experiencing ripple edit behavior when [mouse drag+ctrl+copy] clips even though ripple edit is turned off. This does not happen when I copy and past clips. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

2 minutes ago, UDmr said:

I'm experiencing ripple edit behavior when [mouse drag+ctrl+copy] clips even though ripple edit is turned off. This does not happen when I copy and past clips. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Try toggling it On then Off again to correct this. I do believe it is a bug from a couple responses I've gotten when bringing it up elsewhere.

I have realized that clips that have position lock are not moved even when I set Ripple Edit to All and insert some new measures. IMHO this does not make sense with Ripple Edit, because the lock position is logically moved, so the clips have also to be moved!

On 4/30/2020 at 10:26 PM, winkpain said:

I am still very much being frustrated by this problem first mentioned here

Ripple edit continues to "randomly" stop functioning even when switched on or not persist 'though saved in the on state.

This is especially true in the PRV view- selected notes when duplicated do not ripple edit the following material but layer over it as if Ripple were off. Choosing the exact same notes in the inline PRV (or as a clip) in the Track view and duplicating does ripple edit as expected.

Duplicate Clips with Ripple on is fixed in the 2020.05 EA release, however it became clear when fixing this that ripple edit isn't fully supported for all cases in the PRV. I suspect that this might explain some of the oddities people are seeing.

The best advice I can give for the meantime, is to make sure you do any ripple edits in the track view.

1 hour ago, marled said:

I have realized that clips that have position lock are not moved even when I set Ripple Edit to All and insert some new measures. IMHO this does not make sense with Ripple Edit, because the lock position is logically moved, so the clips have also to be moved!

Position locked clips are exactly that - their position is locked, so they don't move.

I think you're expecting the lock to act more like an "anchor" rather than a lock... which Cakewalk doesn't currently do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

Duplicate Clips with Ripple on is fixed in the 2020.05 EA release, however it became clear when fixing this that ripple edit isn't fully supported for all cases in the PRV. I suspect that this might explain some of the oddities people are seeing.

Yes! This is exciting. I am trying out the EA right now, and from what I've just test Ripple Edit seems to be working in PRV, certainly compared to before. I will keep a lookout for cases where it doesn't and follow your advice until final fix.

21 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I think you're expecting the lock to act more like an "anchor" rather than a lock... which Cakewalk doesn't currently do.

Exactly! IMO this would make more sense, because I only set the position lock to prevent inadvertent moves with the Smart Tool (I am really no mouse hoofer! 😀). In contrast a Ripple Edit operation is something the user does deliberately. I think that position locked clips are not affected makes the Ripple Edit more fault-prone (I always have to ensure that all clips are unlocked also those out of sight!).

I am convinced most people expect that if they insert a new section at a position (with Ripple Edit) that everything behind is moved by the length of the insertion. I don't think there are a lot of senseful examples for the converse!

On 5/21/2020 at 11:59 AM, UDmr said:

My problem that looked like ripple edit was working when it was actually turned off,   turns out to be a drag and drop nudge setting that moves clips when the new clip is placed nearby.