Haitian Divorce - Steely Dan Cover

steve@baselines.com

7 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I thought this was an excellent mix and I really enjoyed the lead vocal.  Nice job on this cover.

Just curious - what mic and mic pre did the lead singer use?

Thanks Douglas - not sure.  I've asked her for more info.  She lives in New Zealand.  I'll report back.  On my end, I process vocals with Nectar 3.

58 minutes ago, Paul Bush said:

Love this anything from steely dan is top and is certanly difficult  play , great vocals this must have taken ages well done 

Thanks a lot Paul - yes it took a few weeks to get all the parts!  I'm not very good on guitar, so I had to learn and record it in smaller sections.

Steve , that was a Fantastic job from "everyone". I'd forgotten just how much I loved Steele Dan music. The vocals were absolutely killer. I had to go and listen to more of her music just to hear for myself it was actually a woman doing the vox. She could probably cover Any song. So much talent. Thanks for posting this. I Really enjoyed it.     mark

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 7:20 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

I thought this was an excellent mix and I really enjoyed the lead vocal.  Nice job on this cover.

Just curious - what mic and mic pre did the lead singer use?

I got some info from @kiwichrys, and this is what she said.  She also said it was probably more due to me using Nectar on what she sent, but I agree the quality is good.

'An old old rusty banged up 100% reliable sm58 shure mic with xlr lead directly into a focusrite scarlett 212 interface then via a monitor volume amplifier (cos scarlett is crap for monitor volume) straight into the pc USB and directly into the bandlab studio recorder.'

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

Steve , that was a Fantastic job from "everyone". I'd forgotten just how much I loved Steele Dan music. The vocals were absolutely killer. I had to go and listen to more of her music just to hear for myself it was actually a woman doing the vox. She could probably cover Any song. So much talent. Thanks for posting this. I Really enjoyed it.     mark

Thanks a lot Mark - Steely Dan songs take a long time to learn!  I'll let @kiwichrys know about your comments here.