Why don't I have the Style Dial modules in ProChannel?

Patrick Rowles

Question

I thought it was high time I addressed the issue of transients in my recordings (be gentle with me, I'm just getting my head around gain staging after 20 years of home recording!), and consulted the Cakewalk help documentation. It referred me to the Shaper module, but on checking my ProChannel I found I don't have any of the Style Dial modules at all.

I tend to use a default ProChannel set-up comprising COMPRESSOR, EQ, TUBE, and CONSOLE EMULATOR CHANNEL, and when I click the '+' button in the ProChannel header I get an unscrollable list of additional modules comprising BREVERB2, Bark Of Dog, Panipulator, Rematrix Solo, etc (see screen shot below), but no Style Dial modules. I watched an old CAKE TV video on YouTube demonstrating their use, so I know that's where they're supposed to be.

Any ideas, anyone? I converted to Cakewalk by Bandlab from a legit, paid-for-and-still-got-the-CD-ROM install of SONAR X1 Producer, and I've updated it from the Bandlab website recently enough to have the new Arranger facility, so why no Style Dial modules in my ProChannel?

image.thumb.png.953aec72e844bad2e46e9c501f1cc281.png

9 answers to this question

Thanks for the super-fast reply, Mark! I've just had a look in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal, and this is what it looks like: -

image.png.0af2ae06e0bcc71b2d16c954cb73464d.png

The Boz Digital Labs folder containst Panipulator and Bark Of Dog, and the other folders all seem to correspond to things I can currently see (PX64, TL64, and VX64 are the old Percussion, Vocal, and Tube Leveller plug-ins). I've run a Windows search for 'prochannel' within C:\Program Files\Cakewalk, and all it came up with was this list (one INI file a couple of DLL's, and a few PDF's/RTF's): -

image.thumb.png.78badf032840747fbcb880d4d0063770.png

Thanks, Nigel - I cold have sworn I copy/pasted @msmcleod's directory path from his post into the Windows File Explorer bar, so I don't know how I ended up taking a screen shot of C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal!

I think I've solved the mystery, however. It's a bit embarrassing, but if it serves as a lesson to anyone else then I don't mind admitting to it. When my SSD C: drive started to get low on disk space a couple of years ago, I hived off everything 'non essential' to another HDD, including C:\Cakewalk Content. I must have changed the crucial folder locations in Cakewalk's preferences correctly, because the program carried on working the same as before.

That would explain why C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Style Dial FX was empty when I checked. I had hoped that copying the hived-off content back to the folder and then closing and re-opening Cakewalk would fix the problem, but no dice - I've still got no Style Dial modules in ProChannel. Is there a DLL I can re-register which will fix the issue? Much obliged for the ongoing help!

Moving "Cakewalk Content" without creating a directory junction for "C:\Cakewalk Content" or updating ContentDir in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software is going to cause problems. I prefer making directory junctions but the registry edit will work just as well.

Looks like Richard Gagne has the same problem.  Is there somewhere to download this portion?  I too am without this portion.  I uninstalled then reinstalled it, but to no avail.  Patrick did you find any resolve in the matter?

On 4/29/2020 at 1:17 PM, Patrick Rowles said:

Thanks, Nigel - I cold have sworn I copy/pasted @msmcleod's directory path from his post into the Windows File Explorer bar, so I don't know how I ended up taking a screen shot of C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal!

I think I've solved the mystery, however. It's a bit embarrassing, but if it serves as a lesson to anyone else then I don't mind admitting to it. When my SSD C: drive started to get low on disk space a couple of years ago, I hived off everything 'non essential' to another HDD, including C:\Cakewalk Content. I must have changed the crucial folder locations in Cakewalk's preferences correctly, because the program carried on working the same as before.

That would explain why C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Style Dial FX was empty when I checked. I had hoped that copying the hived-off content back to the folder and then closing and re-opening Cakewalk would fix the problem, but no dice - I've still got no Style Dial modules in ProChannel. Is there a DLL I can re-register which will fix the issue? Much obliged for the ongoing help!