Backup for a new workstation

Fawudd

Question

What is the best way to backup Cakewalk so that all of its configuration is captured, and it can be restored onto a new workstation I am getting tomorrow. I would rather not reinstall and spend hours getting things (workspaces, plugin directories, etc) back together if I can avoid it. I am assuming that I can just put projects, audio files, and plugins back in the same relative place. 

ps: I am intentionally not restoring the entire workstation, so all I care about is Cakewalk.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Hi Fawudd,

There is no simple way to get a Cakewalk installation onto a new workstation.  It will be a matter of reinstalling the whole kit and kabutile.  However, you can save yourself from some reconfigurations by saving your personal folders such as templates (project and track), screensets and workspaces, preferences, (plugin) presets, etc.  Also, you can save the samples for your instrument plugins onto a separate drive to avoid their reinstallation.  A little time and maintenance prior will save you a lot of time (and frustration) later.

Kind regards,

tecknot

On 4/29/2020 at 11:27 AM, tecknot said:

Hi Fawudd,

There is no simple way to get a Cakewalk installation onto a new workstation.  It will be a matter of reinstalling the whole kit and kabutile.  However, you can save yourself from some reconfigurations by saving your personal folders such as templates (project and track), screensets and workspaces, preferences, (plugin) presets, etc.  Also, you can save the samples for your instrument plugins onto a separate drive to avoid their reinstallation.  A little time and maintenance prior will save you a lot of time (and frustration) later.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Thanks Tecknot for the response. I just completed the process over 2 days and it was a royal pain with some of the license controls and reinstallations. I did save the templates and workspaces as you suggested, so that helped. Since technology fails, and hardware upgrades happen, it would be great if CW would bundle up all of your settings and preferences so that they could be applied in one step to a new instance. 

On the bright side, my new hardware is faster and more capable, and CW does a good job of telling you about all of the missing components in your project as it loads.