Song Copyright

micv

It's relatively easy once you understand the basics. I'd first suggest to read any documents or do searches so you understand what a copyright actually is & what it covers.  You're registering the right to claim, it's not a guarantee of ownership.

https://www.copyright.gov/

For U.S. copyright start by going here, signing up & doing it online at their eCO website.

https://eco.copyright.gov/eService_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=Start&SWEHo=eco.copyright.gov

One tip is you can make one registration to claim both the sound recording ( SR ) & the underlying work (PA) using a single SR form if you've created both.

If your work is unpublished you can submit 10 tunes using one SR (for a single fee of 65.00, the rate was just increased btw).

Basically you fill out the form, pay the fee then upload the content. (Wav, mp3) After a month or several you will receive the copyright document plus it will also be listed in your eCO account.

Hope that helps..

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

As soon as a work is fixed in a tangible medium of expression, a federal statutory copyright belongs to the author.
And although it is not required to register or use a notice of copyright to be valid, it is often very helpful in case of infringement.

This is basically what we (my wife, Terri, and I) were told when we had a case of infringement (we were the "injured" party).
It was about artwork, not music, but same thing applies. We spent $400 to "threaten" legal action; that would have cost
way more that the infringement was "worth". It was the "principle" of the thing.
I now apply for copyrights on every piece of artwork we create for her business.

I have copyrights on numerous of my tunes, but at today's fees,

19 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

One tip is you can make one registration to claim both the sound recording ( SR ) & the underlying work (PA) using a single SR form if you've created both.

If your work is unpublished you can submit 10 tunes using one SR (for a single fee of 65.00, the rate was just increased btw).

Hidden's advice is the "best" way to approach it if you feel you need to "protect" your work.
It all boils down to money, if you have none, you will lose the legal battle to protect and/or recoup any losses.

In answer to the question:

12 hours ago, micv said:

Do folks that load songs here copyrighted their works?

For the most part, I very much doubt it.

My advice:
Post your tunes, if they are truly great, and worthy of commercial exploitation; some one will buy it...

HTH,

tom

Good article here

Edited by DeeringAmps
adde link
  • Thanks 1