Automation not working

Leandro

Yes... just like that. I arm to record automation, play, move the parameters, values are recorded in the automation track, but when I play the track back, nothing is read. Yes... read automation is enabled, and after recording the automation track, I disable record automation. What is the problem with Cakewalk? I'm losing precious time with this problem. It's unbelievable that is so problematic to make automation work.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Are you sure your tracks are actually being sent to the "Main Vocals" bus and not the Master bus directly?

Yes. The volume slider on the main vocals bus never moves. I contacted support yesterday. I want to make some videos so I can send better proof. I'll pm you the project file as soon as I can.

@msmcleod I was able to replicate the problem. Basically it records and reads when I move the sliders or knobs, but when I record automation and change the values of the volume from the numbers, it gets recorded, but not played. After that, if I try to record by moving the slider, it gets recorded, but not played. I have to restart the project in order to make automation work again, only from the sliders or knobs. To make it worse, I noticed that when I recorded automation with the slider, I stopped moving the slider on -9.5 for example, but when it was played back, it stopped in 9.4... I'll try to make another video to show you that.

This is the procedure and videos I made to replicate the automation flaw:

1.- I armed automation, played the song, and moved the volume slider. Recorded automation as it should. When it was played back, the volume slider as well as the sound changed accordingly.

2.- I armed automation, played the song, but this time I changed the volume from the numbers, to set a precise volume change, which in the end is what I'm trying to do and fails. It recorded as it should, but when it was played back, no response, the slider kept without change, in the volume set before recording the automation. Note aside, the automation recorded is not faithful to the change I made, since I made an instant change, and what was recorded in the automation is a different thing.

3.- I armed automation, played the song, and moved the volume slider like in point 1. Recorded automation as it should. When it was played back, automation was not read, and the volume kept without any change.

This is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/bG-fPZnNfNQ

I did a fresh install in my laptop, which by the way had never had Cakewalk installed. Did the same 3 steps on a fresh project and the same problem happened: https://youtu.be/OdfQW0Sko8Q

Honestly, it surprises me that a seasoned DAW like Cakewalk has these flaws. Until a few years ago I used an older version of Cubase. Automation worked flawlessly, from the sliders, knobs or value changes, and it always played exactly what was recorded.

I hope this can be finally fixed, since I found some threads of this ploblem dating way back from the Sonar days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@msmcleodI've tried automation snapshots. It seems flawed as well. I could draw 2 snapshots, but after doing that, they wouldn't be read. I saved the project, loaded it again, and for now it seems that Cakewalk reads it. The automation read feature in Cakewalk seems to be the problem, or the write feature. As soon as I start writing automation in some way, the read feature dies.

I'll try to work this way until you can solve the issue. Thanks for looking into it!

• 7 months later...

@msmcleod

I have the same problem, wasn't sure if it was the plugin I'm using (Cakewalk Breverb version) or Cakewalk.  As soon as I play with any of the sliders automation is broken. The only way I can get it to work is restarting the program. It writes automation fine, it just can't cope with someone making changes.  I did have a prior issue with a take lane.. somehow an envelope merged in a clip lane that I was editing gain on.  When that happened I could no longer edit the audio  (the take lane toggle button no longer works on the specific track) . Luckily I was able to copy the audio into a new track but I manually had to create the sends and copy over tons of custom envelope and paste them into new envelopes.  But the other problem is the automation -it loses connection.  Maybe the issue with automation is somehow interconnected with lane code and fights to be on an clip lane  vs envelope lane. 

I guess Binney Stone above me is also having a similar issue.  I'm also using the latest Cakewalk update.

Edited by Kurt Nielsen

• 2 weeks later...

While I could reproduce the issue in 2020.04 with manually entering an volume envelope value, neither myself or @Jonathan Sasor can reproduce this issue, or any of the other automation issues in 2020.11.  This could be down to differences in config setup.

Until we get a reproduceable recipe for this, it's going to be hard to track down the issue.

The fact that it seems to work again after restarting Cakewalk does tend to point to a possible state issue. 

Does enabling/re-enabling automation read (either at the track level or the global level) make any difference?  Also, if this is done via the UI rather than a keyboard shortcut, does this make a difference?

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

While I could reproduce the issue in 2020.04 with manually entering an volume envelope value, neither myself or @Jonathan Sasor can reproduce this issue, or any of the other automation issues in 2020.11.  This could be down to differences in config setup.

Until we get a reproduceable recipe for this, it's going to be hard to track down the issue.

The fact that it seems to work again after restarting Cakewalk does tend to point to a possible state issue. 

Does enabling/re-enabling automation read (either at the track level or the global level) make any difference?  Also, if this is done via the UI rather than a keyboard shortcut, does this make a difference?

Enabling/disabling write doesn't change anything and I don't use many hotkeys at all so I'm not sure which one that would be. Maybe you would like to take a look at my config file?  is it the AUD.INI specifically? If you can look in my inbox i've shared a video what it's doing.. I've sent you an invite. 

10 minutes ago, Kurt Nielsen said:

Enabling/disabling write doesn't change anything and I don't use many hotkeys at all so I'm not sure which one that would be. Maybe you would like to take a look at my config file?  is it the AUD.INI specifically? If you can look in my inbox i've shared a video what it's doing.. I've sent you an invite. 

What about disabling/re-enabling READ ?

15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

What about disabling/re-enabling READ ?

On my side enabling and disabling read/write doesn't seem to get Breverb to jump back into the envelop levels.. I've tried doing that on playback, stopped, on the Breverb plugin itself and on the Track although I haven't tried it on the console yet. I read in my inbox you are getting similar problems, thanks for adding it to the bug Que., it's been extremely difficult to create accurate effect changes.

On 12/27/2020 at 2:28 PM, Kurt Nielsen said:

On my side enabling and disabling read/write doesn't seem to get Breverb to jump back into the envelop levels.. I've tried doing that on playback, stopped, on the Breverb plugin itself and on the Track although I haven't tried it on the console yet. I read in my inbox you are getting similar problems, thanks for adding it to the bug Que., it's been extremely difficult to create accurate effect changes.

Kurt,  BREVERB has known bugs with its rendering of automation so most likely you are running into one of those. That is not an issue that can be solved from the Cakewalk side. Please retest with a different plugin and you should not see the same issue. 

Also something to note. In Cakewalk recorded automation is only applied when you stop playback so if you seek on the timeline to an earlier point where you had recorded automation, it will not render until you stop and restart playback. I don't think this is the issue you are encountering but I thought I would clarify it.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Kurt,  BREVERB has known bugs with its rendering of automation so most likely you are running into one of those. That is not an issue that can be solved from the Cakewalk side. Please retest with a different plugin and you should not see the same issue. 

Also something to note. In Cakewalk recorded automation is only applied when you stop playback so if you seek on the timeline to an earlier point where you had recorded automation, it will not render until you stop and restart playback. I don't think this is the issue you are encountering but I thought I would clarify it.

Excellent Noel! Thank you for the heads up! It's good to hear clarification on weather it was Cakewalk or the plugin. Recording was fine for me but Cakewalk would simply lose sync if I made any adjustment to the envelope or slider in Breverb and would only play the effect position/level that was set last.

Because this is Breverb for Cakewalk will it get a bugfix or should it be replaced? I wonder if the Full Breverb plugin from overloud.com would work any different.  Thank you.

Edited by Kurt Nielsen

Can you clarify whether you were seeking on the timeline AFTER making changes or if you were stopping and restarting playback. As mentioned until you stop and restart playback it will not read the currently recorded automation.

If its a BREVERB issue it would be up to Overloud to address it. However the version of BREVERB that Cakewalk had distributed is an older one so I'm not sure if they would update that. 

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Can you clarify whether you were seeking on the timeline AFTER making changes or if you were stopping and restarting playback. As mentioned until you stop and restart playback it will not read the currently recorded automation.

If its a BREVERB issue it would be up to Overloud to address it. However the version of BREVERB that Cakewalk had distributed is an older one so I'm not sure if they would update that. 

Using Breverb I wasn't recording automation, instead I only added wetness and dry envelopes and edited them accordingly and playback changes. I'd also try to make changes in real-time slightly ahead of the audio play position.

Edited by Kurt Nielsen

• 1 month later...

Got the same issue reading any type of automation in the same situation and context, but finally after closing and reopening sessions which didn't solve the problem, got to just right clicking over the track and resetting the check marks on read and write automation on the automation lanes just above the add or delete automation lane check boxes. 

Good luck for you solving those issues, so bad this type of things take us from being using one of the best DAWs ever!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem just now with 2020.09. If something has been fixed since then, this is irrelevant, but I got clip gain automation that was ignored during freeze.

I was able to reproduce the issue after a Cakewalk restart. It was fixed by adding another node on a straight line in the automation. Don't know if that information gives any help on finding the problem.

EDIT: The problem came back after another automation edit. I downloaded and installed the  2021.01 build 98. It didn't help. I saw that my extra node was gone, not sure how that happened. Added it again, and it works!

Edited by rejkmackan