Midi Tempo Changed When Installed New Sound Card

Jeff Melton

Question

I was using my laptop computer's internal sound card in Cakewalk to do MIDI composition.  I just received a Sound Blaster X USB card and plugged it in, and cakewalk plays back MIDI sequences on this device much MUCH slower than it did on the internal Sound Card.  Why is this?  Is there some MIDI settings I can change?  It's a simple piano MIDI tune, and I seem to perceive that even as it plays through half a dozen measures or so that its speed isn't consistent - it speeds up and slows down rather erratically, but it's doing so at a much slower clip than it was on my computer's default soundcard.  Any ideas what I can change to fix this?

3 answers to this question

Samplerate?  Mind you,  that really only effects audio data.  Midi tempo is controlled solely by your DAW in the tempo map.  Something else must be going on here.

If were using a softsynth to play you MIDI sequence, and it was a samplerate issue, then the notes would actually be out of tune.  The tempo itself would not change.

You'll have to describe exactly which hardware or softsynth you're using to play back your piano sequence.