Why 500 series?

Starise

There no longer appears to be hardware forum. I seen an "Instrument And Effects" area but I didn't feel this fit there. 

I'm looking at adding some better microphone pre amps in the future and looked at 500 series boxes which begin in the neighborhood of 300.00 for the most basic 500 series box. For that price all you get is A- A place to put your 500 series modules and B- a way to power those modules. Prices for the modules are close to standard rack gear prices, so I guess I'm wondering what the real advantage is other than a more compact foot print. If you bought 500 series stuff what attracted you to it? What are the advantages?

The form factor looks like a nice way to line a few better than average pre amps up side by side using very little space. I don't really see any other advantages especially for the asking price of those boxes. Maybe someone knows why the mounting boxes are so expensive?

Edited by Starise
  • Like 1

The only advantage to 500 series gear is the small form-factor.

You can put several pieces of "a-la-cart" quality gear in a small space.

Kind of like a guitarist's "pedal-board" ... but for studio gear.

Rupert Neve will tell you a 500 series unit (due to size limits - smaller PS and Transformers) is not equal to the full sized option.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

The only advantage to 500 series gear is the small form-factor.

You can put several pieces of "a-la-cart" quality gear in a small space.

Kind of like a guitarist's "pedal-board" ... but for studio gear.

Rupert Neve will tell you a 500 series unit (due to size limits - smaller PS and Transformers) is not equal to the full sized option.

96_pedal_board.jpg

Some people are unclear on the concept! 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, craigb said:

Um, there's printing on each that tells you? 🙄

WHAT are you saying there ?   Is it  not enough just to be able to  play the guitar well ?

I have over 200 pedals on my compact pedal-board  . Now I have to learn how to read English ?

kg9FCpp.jpg

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson
  • Like 3

On 2/8/2019 at 3:29 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RNDR6--rupert-neve-designs-r6-six-space-500-series-rack

This mitigates but does not solve?

The idea of more kit to carry is not at all appealing.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, Starise said:

There no longer appears to be hardware forum. I seen an "Instrument And Effects" area but I didn't feel this fit there. 

I'm looking at adding some better microphone pre amps in the future and looked at 500 series boxes which begin in the neighborhood of 300.00 for the most basic 500 series box. For that price all you get is A- A place to put your 500 series modules and B- a way to power those modules. Prices for the modules are close to standard rack gear prices, so I guess I'm wondering what the real advantage is other than a more compact foot print. If you bought 500 series stuff what attracted you to it? What are the advantages?

The form factor looks like a nice way to line a few better than average pre amps up side by side using very little space. I don't really see any other advantages especially for the asking price of those boxes. Maybe someone knows why the mounting boxes are so expensive?

I have 6 500 series modules, 4 eq's, 1 preamp and a compressor. I also have full rack gear, eq's comp's and pre's and I'm not finding any noticeable difference. I think the biggest reason they cost less is because there is no power supply, i don't think it's a lack of quality components. I have two Radial Workhorse power supplies that IMO are a great product. One is a 19" rack mount and one a Cube you can take anywhere. Both are 3 bay. I think they are more for taking your gear with you to other studios or other places you record. I bought the cube so I can go to my friends studio and use gear he doesn't have and visa versa.  I think it's more a portable thing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gswitz said:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RNDR6--rupert-neve-designs-r6-six-space-500-series-rack

This mitigates but does not solve?

The idea of more kit to carry is not at all appealing.

That solves the power-supply issue... but wouldn't help with large transformers.

If you need several channels of higher-end front-end gear in a small/portable package, you live with the slight trade-off.

By comparison, something like the Neve Portico-II channel strip (mic pre, 4-band EQ, compressor) is 2U and 12.5" deep (takes a lot of space).

Thanks, Jim. I sometimes wish for two more channels. I have a spidf input. I haven't seen a good 1u 2 channel pre with spidf out. Perhaps i should look elsewhere for the spidf conversion. There are lots of 1u 2 channel pres without spidf.

I thought I'd mention it in case i was overlooking something.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I would rip the crotch out of my pants trying to reach that back row of pedals 🙄 Might cause other issues I won't go into here.😲

Never considered the portability issue as the driving factor. I keep all of my stuff in the studio and have another set of stuff I take out. Jim, thanks for bringing up the transformer issue. That's a big one for me. Decent pre amps generally rely on good heavy transformers. I guess I need a better reason to plop down over 500.00 for a box with a some sockets and a power supply. I don't mean to sound sarcastic or to downplay anyone who went that route. When I buy a pre amp though, it's going to be more about the sound than the size.

Edited by Starise
  • Like 1