Interaction of Cakewalk GUI and a control surface

PaulCW

This issue seems to have been in Sonar as long as I can remember and it's still in the latest Cakewalk, but it's really annoying me now as I've been working on a control surface plugin with some different selection options. To repro, you need a control surface using the Mackie plugin with the "Select highlights track" option set and a project with multiple tracks - I'm going to use tracks 1 and 2 but the actual track numbers don't matter

• From the control surface press the SELECT button for track 1 - track 1 is now highlighted
  • Press the comma key on the PC keyboard - track 1 is now selected
  • From the control surface press the SELECT button for track 2 - track 2 is now highlighted
  • Press the comma key on the PC keyboard - tracks 1 and 2 are now selected

Now this all works fine until you use the GUI, either mouse or keyboard up/down keys to highlight a track. Once you've done that for the first time, the behaviour changes and the comma key select toggle will ignore any track highlight changes that came from the control surface. So you get this:

• From the GUI (either mouse or keyboard) move to track 1 - track 1 is now highlighted
  • Press the comma key on the PC keyboard - track 1 is now selected
  • From the control surface press the SELECT button for track 2 - track 2 is now highlighted
  • Press the comma key on the PC keyboard - no tracks are selected
  • Press the comma key on the PC keyboard again - track 1 is selected

So, the highlighting via the control surface is a sort of "second class" highlight that doesn't work with everything. To restore the correct behaviour, you need to close and reopen the project.

Edited by PaulCW