Insert MIDI track, crash computer

I opened Bandlab assistant and downloaded the latest version of CbB.

I opened CbB from the desktop icon.

Chose 'New Project"

Chose template 16-Track.cwt

When I went to insert a MIDI track, the computer crashed.

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

There must be more to it than simply adding a midi track first, because I just made sure I was up to date on versions, started a new project - 16-Track, and added a midi track, and it did not crash, whether I inserted the midi track in between two of the existing audio tracks, or if I inserted it down past the end of the existing audio tracks.

In neither case, and repeated times doing it, did it crash.

So - I wonder if something like Windows Update maintenance is all fully applied - some maintenance does not get automatically applied, and you have to go into Settings > Update and Security, and look to see if there are any optional ones waiting to be explicitly directed to be downloaded/installed.

If Windows Update is all good, then perhaps for some reason some device driver, whether for computer hardware components or even the audio interface, need to be updated.  Maybe some run-time C++ libraries need to be updated, as another possibility.

Perhaps also, or instead, some bizarre conflict with other running software, such as antivirus software, could be glitching things in some strange way.

If indeed the steps you had indicated cause crashes on your system, and repeatedly do so, are the ones I followed, repeatedly, and did NOT experience any such crashes, it would point to something being local to your computer's environment, and can hopefully be rooted out and resolved by examing things like I layed out above.

I can try to work through it all with you, if you would like to give it a shot.  :)

Bob Bone

3 hours ago, jonathan boose said:

Thanks, Bob. 

There appear to be optional updates waiting to be installed.  I guess I should check that more often.

Updating run-time C++ libraries is not something I typically consider, either.

Yeah - those sneak up on you.  I try to check for that kind of stuff, as well as things like Native Access (for NI updates), iLok Management Software (iLok gets updated every now and then), and Arturia's Software Center (V Collection and some other stuff), about every 2-3 weeks.

Please post back on your situation, after you get your maintenance up to date, and maybe you will be all better.  (I type hopefully) :)

Bob Bone