DS Thorn at Plugin Alliance

cclarry

29 minutes ago, Mitch_I said:

I also get the crash when I try to insert  the VST3 version of Thorn in Cakewalk. And I still have the problem of double notes unless I uncheck "Enable MIDI Output" in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog.

I don't see these problems in Cubase 9.5, so I guess they're Cakewalk-specific.

I received an email from Plugin Alliance this morning regarding the bug report I submitted on the VST3 issue:

Re: VST3 version of Plugin Alliance's Thorn soft synth crashes Cakewalk [#45771]

Hi Steven,

Yes, this just became a known issue for us and we have an outstanding report for this. The development team will be investigating this further in the coming weeks and we will touch base with everyone who reported the issue when we have more information.

Best, 

Edited by TheSteven

Just received email from Cakewalk regarding reported issue:

Feb 19, 22:46 +08

Hey Steven,

Just wanted to provide an update. Our team had a chance to review, and it looks like the actual fault is within Thorn itself. We've had a few users reach out, each have stated that the VST2 version is working, but the VST3 version itself is crashing. The best bet would definitely be to bring this to the attention of DS and Plugin Alliance, as Windows debugging is pointing to the plugin itself.

We'd suggest continuing to run with the VST2 version, which should serve as a workaround for now. If there's anything else we can do to help, please feel free to reach out.

This is actually no surprise since the prePA VST3 version had no issues with CbB.
I have updated PA with info.

• Thanks 1

TheSteven beat me to it! The response above pretty much covers it. Use the VST2 if you want to dive right in. It looks like all parties are aware of the issue at this point. I'm thinking the DAW's that it does seem to work in are actually just pointing to a version that works, instead of always looking to use the VST3 when both are installed... anybody with no issue only have the VST3 installed?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike Balzarini said:

anybody with no issue only have the VST3 installed?

Tried PA Thorn with FL Studio 20 (the latest build or close to it).
VST3 version - works but has consistent intermittent high volume audio spikes, like a demo limitation but plugin is fully authorized. Reauthorized no change.
VST2 version - no issues.
Only one version VST2/VST3 was on system during tests (had to rescan VSTs between tests).

• 1 month later...

Same problem here with the DS Thorn 1.2. VST2 works, but when i save the project and shut down the program, next time i open the file, it all crashes. VST3 doesnt works, only messages "fatal error".

😪

Edited by Felipe Lemos
error in one word

On 4/4/2019 at 2:16 PM, Felipe Lemos said:

Same problem here with the DS Thorn 1.2. VST2 works, but when i save the project and shut down the program, next time i open the file, it all crashes. VST3 doesnt works, only messages "fatal error".

😪

Go to PA website and create a support ticket/bug report.

This wasn't broken in the pre-PA version.
If no one complains they have no reason to bother fixing. 
That they haven't fixed it yet means that it's a low or no priority issue with PA.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This may be old news to some of you, but I just noticed that a new version of Thorn is available at Plugin Alliance. As some of us previously noticed, the VST3 version of Thorn 1.2 had some serious issues with Cakewalk, throwing an unhandled exception error during load and took Cakewalk down with it when crashing. However, after downloading and installing this new version I managed to run the VST3 version without any problems. The installation file was created May 23, so it seems to have been around for almost two months now.

According to the change log the following fixes have been made to Thorn 1.2.1:

• Fixed a startup crash in Cakewalk by Bandlab
  • Fixed AU opened in mono configuration in Studio One 4
  • Fixed a crash when selecting generic UI option in Reaper
  • Installer always copy Thorn resource files to the correct location now

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/ds_thorn.html#downloads

• Thanks 3

Thanks Canopus for heads up.

Looks like PA fixed VST3 issues.
Did a VST scan & I dropped Thorn in a new project and Cakewalk locked up; but after restarting it seems* fine now.
*Didn't really beat on it just created a new project, created a synth track and scribbled a couple of notes in the Piano roll (same thing I did the 1st time when it locked up).

I had a support ticket with PA about the VST3 issues - aside from the initial response of 'thanks, we'll look into it' never heard from them again about it.