DS Thorn at Plugin Alliance

cclarry

I have informed Dmitry about this situation.  I also purchased Tantra and incorrectly received the email to upgrade to Thorn v 1.2 for 19 bucks...

What did I do? The right thing. Nice job to all the whores taking advantage of this one man operation. And before anyone replies with the usual crap about it being the vendors fault, imagine yourself in his position and then repeat your justification for ‘robbing’ this man again. 

Oh, and please, by all means, instill your morals and values in your children.

Well done chaps!

34 minutes ago, Trick Mosely said:

I have informed Dmitry about this situation.  I also purchased Tantra and incorrectly received the email to upgrade to Thorn v 1.2 for 19 bucks...

What did I do? The right thing. Nice job to all the whores taking advantage of this one man operation. And before anyone replies with the usual crap about it being the vendors fault, imagine yourself in his position and then repeat your justification for ‘robbing’ this man again. 

Oh, and please, by all means, instill your morals and values in your children.

Well done chaps!

Interesting 1st post.  Did anyone think maybe this wasn't a glitch?   Izotope made a mistake lat year by offering Ozone 8 elements to Advance for $150.   Thy decided to go with it.

• Like 1

Glad you found my post interesting! I forgot how first time posts are often frowned upon due to the superiority of the folks with 50k posts expressing nothing at all. 

And regarding the glitch, the email sent by PA clearly states, and I quote - “As an existing owner of Thorn V1 you can get the new Plugin Alliance V1.2 release for just $19!”

Seems pretty clear to me. Glitch indeed. 

Cheers

• Like 1

It's not like PA/DS don't know who has taken advantage of the upgrade, so I'll leave it to them to decide how they wish to play this, rather than feeling any pressure from a self-appointed morality officer.

fwiw, I would not have purchased thorn - I was happy enough just having ThornCM on my drive.  I won't lose sleep if they reverse this.

34 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I opened a ticket about it at PA, but have gotten no response.  I'm not sure they care.  But I bet Dmitry does, he's a good guy.

I have also opened a ticket with them and haven't had a response. 

My point is that when Plugin Boutique were selling Thorn they would offer upgrades for owners of Tantra like me at special prices (not $19 but more like $60). I assume that this was with Dmitri's blessing?  I would like to think that this would continue under Plugin-Alliance's management but I don't see how it can unless they have a valid record of who already owns other DS products (or maybe it can use serial numbers from other products?).  

Nice job to all the whores taking advantage of this one man operation

Excuse me Sir/Madam but I am a plugin slut, not a plugin whore. Minor distinction but one none the less.
I respect your moral stand but disagree with your premise.

Thorn is a fine synth but like many on this particular forum I already have a glut of soft synths. 
No disrespect to Dmitry or Thorn but the only way I'll purchase a synth at this time is if it's priced in the truly no-brainer region.
So in this case PA/Dmitry have collected $19 from me that they would never have otherwise received.

I have no idea why this 'situation' occurred - be it intentional, as KK suggested it might, or otherwise.  But as it appears from comments posted on this thread it was not universally offered/distributed to Dmitry's user base.  If nothing else it has generated attention to the PA/Dmitry relationship.

One point that you don't take indignation over - - making people who've already purchased Thorn pay $19 just to obtain the rebranded PA version and perhaps be able to get future updates (assuming those don't require a fee).  The amount is IMHO a bit steep, I'd not be thrilled if I fell in that camp.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 4

I was expecting some of the above replies and they are spot on! LOL! No, literally you made me laugh out loud! People are such creatures of habit. 

Self appointed morality officer! That one in particular. Your smugness is exceeded only by your lack of morals apparently.

Listen, and I will not bother posting again in this thread (loud applause), YOU know it’s wrong bottom line. You can slice and dice and spin this every which way but in the end, how you deal with yourself is between you and well, yourself. 

Cheers

• Meh 1

3 minutes ago, Trick Mosely said:

I was expecting some of the above replies and they are spot on! LOL! No, literally you made me laugh out loud! People are such creatures of habit. 

Self appointed morality officer! That one in particular. Your smugness is exceeded only by your lack of morals apparently.

Listen, and I will not bother posting again in this thread (loud applause), YOU know it’s wrong bottom line. You can slice and dice and spin this every which way but in the end, how you deal with yourself is between you and well, yourself. 

Cheers

I have no problem with your opinion, I even respect it, but feel that your language is an issue.
Calling people 'whores' for not seeing things the way you do doesn't endear you or make your point(s) more palatable.
There are more effective ways to convey your message.

Peace Out
...Steven

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Excuse me Sir/Madam but I am a plugin slut, not a plugin whore. Minor distinction but one none the less.
I respect your moral stand but disagree with your premise.

Thorn is a fine synth but like many on this particular forum I already have a glut of soft synths. 
No disrespect to Dmitry or Thorn but the only way I'll purchase a synth at this time is if it's priced in the truly no-brainer region.
So in this case PA/Dmitry have collected $19 from me that they would never have otherwise received.

I have no idea why this 'situation' occurred - be it intentional, as KK suggested it might, or otherwise.  But as it appears from comments posted on this thread it was not universally offered/distributed to Dmitry's user base.  If nothing else it has generated attention to the PA/Dmitry relationship.

One point that you don't take indignation over - - making people who've already purchased Thorn pay $19 just to obtain the rebranded PA version and perhaps be able to get future updates (assuming those don't require a fee).  The amount is IMHO a bit steep, I'd not be thrilled if I fell in that camp.

I really don't understand the rant.  It's not like this code is shared either.

18 hours ago, Notformee said:

If anyone wants to share his code, I can trade it for my monthly voucher.

Bad choice of words.   This is how deals get ruined.   This is where I would refer back to Mosely's post.    I think you can use your voucher on this deal.

They're both single use vouchers - changing hands just makes it more likely that both parties will spend with PA (at least $19 in total). 

Or there's the legitimate route of thorn upgrade voucher used to purchase for $19, thorn sold, buyer uses monthly voucher to cover the transfer fee.  PA gets $19 - or nothing if the thorn purchase price was legitimately covered with a monthly voucher too.

Deals ain't getting "ruined" in  a voucher swap.

• Like 1

I also get the crash when I try to insert  the VST3 version of Thorn in Cakewalk. And I still have the problem of double notes unless I uncheck "Enable MIDI Output" in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog.

I don't see these problems in Cubase 9.5, so I guess they're Cakewalk-specific.

BTW to bring in my customized Thorn patches from the previous version, I had to copy them from \Documents\Dmitry Sches\Thorn\Plug-In Presets to \Documents\DS Audio\DS Thorn\Plug-In Presets.