DS Thorn at Plugin Alliance

cclarry

NEW! 
Welcome DS AUDIO to Plugin Alliance

We are happy to announce our new, exclusive partnership with DS Audio (Dmitry Sches). The 1st synth on PA is... wait for it... DS Audio's award winning virtual synthesizer THORN. More info below.

Get it for just $129
Just use the code below.

List Price: $199
Public Intro Price: $149

DSA-EIP-XXXXXXX
Just copy/paste this code during checkout to save.
This code is valid until January 31, 2019.

Get it here!

Edited by cclarry
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul_in_wales said:

wow, that's some bargain given it was $119 list, with offers down to $69 before moving to PA!

But - PA version (i.e PA upgrade) will cost you $19 USD to switch over.

If you have DS Audio's Tantra - check your email.  Just received email offering Thorn upgrade.
Probably a glitch, but...

Edited by TheSteven

3 minutes ago, Paul_in_wales said:

I guess your post crossed with mine just before it.

Lol, noticed that.  Clicked Save and 2 posts showed.
So - did PA take both coupons?  ($19 + voucher)
I didn't try that thinking PA's system would only take one...

Edited by TheSteven

On 2/8/2019 at 11:29 AM, Paul_in_wales said:

yes, I was able to stack them.

That's great (not being sarcastic).  But don't regret getting Thorn for $19..

If you already own Thorn you should definitely stack'em &  grab the PA version before they change things!

Edited by TheSteven

There's no user tracking, registering, etc on DS's website so no idea what kind of database, if any, he used to track his customers.
Could be that DS's records were not detailed enough for PA to tell who was previous Thorn purchaser vs who had CM version or tried Thorn demo.
Or possibly when PA imported the data that things got muddled. 
Just guessing at possibilities based on my background in dealing with data practices & issues I've run into with companies I've worked at and client's I've supported.

If you purchased Thorn and did not get your upgrade coupon from PA contact PA'a support.  I'm sure they'll be glad to help you out.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

Is anyone else having problems using Thorn 1.2 in Cakewalk? When I try to insert an instance of Thorn into a project I get a fatal error “Unhandled Exception, code c0000005” and Cakewalk crashes. This happens with both the VST2 and VST3 versions. The funny thing is when I try to insert the VST2 plugin the error message says that the failing module is “c:\program files\common files\vst3\DS Thorn.vst3”, so something is definitely wrong here.

And have a look at the picture below and in particular the VST2 icon next to the selected instrument. Compare that with the text under the browser where it says “VST3”. Go figure.

Thorn.png.690740639fb4806f75236698dd2a202c.png

I have tried to re-install Thorn from the Plugin Alliance Installation Manager, this time running as administrator, and also doing a full reset before yet again running the plug-in manager. But all to no avail.

So I started Cubase and tried to run Thorn 1.2 there. The Thorn GUI appeared and asked for activation. After activating the product it worked flawlessly. Returned to Cakewalk and tried again (thinking maybe it was the activation thingy that didn’t work well with Cakewalk) but no such luck.

Don’t know what to do next. Send the dump file to Cakewalk support? Am I really the only one having these problems?

2 issues

1) There definitively is a problem with the PA's Thorn VST3 version
image.png.62ff6cef43e9226ba684cfdd77a3365b.png
The VST2 version works fine.

2) It also looks like you have dupes and they're confusing things.
This is what you should bee seeing:
image.png.cf7da8a25b6854c04b791ab76e9990d8.png
Item(s) under the Plugin Alliance vendor name not DS Audio.

Delete your old instances of Thorn, rescan your VSTs and then 🤣 you can properly crash Cakewalk with the PA Thorn VST3!

It's after 4am here, just got up for bladder maintenance and decided to check forum...  should know better.
Please report this, I'm going back to bed.
Reported bug to BandLab and PA.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I get the same error but in my case regardless if I’m trying to insert a VST2 or VST3 version of Thorn 1.2.

The reason why it says DS Audio in my image above is because I’m using my own Plug-in Menu Layout. That’s also why there are duplicates: I inserted both the VST2 and VST3 version side-by-side to be able to easily test both version’s crashing behaviour. But the exact same thing happens of course when I use the stock plug-in menu.

I may add that I tested Thorn 1.2 not only in Cubase 9.5 but also in Studio One 3.5 (two remnants on my computer from the Great Panic of 2017). The plug-in worked without a problem in both DAWs, so my number one suspect must be Cakewalk.

Sigh. Maybe I should start looking how to raise a support ticket with BandLab. Or simply re-install my old Thorn CM. It worked flawlessly.

Edited by Canopus
Just noticed your edit that you have reported this to both BandLab and PA. Thanks.
  • Like 1