No sound from VST instruments

AlChuck

Suddenly this morning I get no sound coming through any of the VST instruments that I add to a project. It seems that the only thing that responds audibly is Cakewalk TTS-1. Visually everything seems fine, the synth dashboards all look like they should, and those that have meters or anything that responds visually to MIDI data looks right, but there's no sound. Those that offer a way of triggering sounds, like clicking on the bass neck of the Studio Instruments bass, act like they're working fine – but not a sound.

I'm wondering if the latest Cakewalk update yesterday is responsible. Is anyone else having this issue?

Edited by AlChuck
Corrected typo

Other than SI-Bass is there a problem with any synth not bundled with CbB or is it just a problem with Studio Instruments?

If a third party synth, which one(s).

Using third party MIDI files or data recorded in CbB?

If this is a problem with existing tracks verify synth routings. Check the track inspector and verify the MIDI track or MIDI tab of the instrument track has its output set to the synth (or drum map) and the Audio track or Audio tab of the instrument track has its input set to the synth.

It seems to be anything except TTS-1 or Dimension Pro. In one project Dimension Pro was the last VSTi I added and it still plays, but the others (Lounge Lizard keys and Kontakt) are silent. In another project even Dimension Pro doesn't work if I add it to the project. 

I did check all the track routing, all is as it should be.

I have a question. I have installed the Dimension Pro and the Cakewalk by bandlab. But I can´t insert the dimension pro in my cakewalk project, I cant find the DP ***** a Vst/Vsti. Do you know how can I do this?

The Dimension Pro dll needs to be in a directory that the VST scan (which runs when you open Cakewalk) indexes. On my system the Dimension Pro stuff is in the Dimension Pro directory under C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\

• 8 months later...

Hi. Having the same issue. I just added third party vst Ample Sound and Organ One, and the next day all the vst instrument got no sound coming. I'm using focusrite solo 2nd. Recording with microphone and instrument input from focusrite to cakewalk is fine, It's just the vst instrument. I just re-installed the CbB but still nothing fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am a new user on Cwb. I had a similar issues when reopening a project -> no sound from any vst. Sometimes, only the first instance of the VST emits sound.

I found this on an other forum :http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3722478

It explains that a possible workaround is to insert a new instance of the VST and drag/drop the midi on the new track. I did that once but its really painful however to do so with 25+ tracks and readjusting mix settings.

I am not sure about how to solve this but what I did is to open a parallel new project and insert a new instance of one of the VSTs that I use in the initial project. Then I triggered midi input from the VST interface that has a virtual keyboard. That generated audio.  I closed the new project and get back to the initial one and some of the VST tracks were working properly again but not the others (even with the similar plugin).  The issue may be from the VSTs or the DAW unfortunately.

I think it is related to the  outputs that Cwb is creating when adding an instrument (split or per-output), but at this point I am not sure.

I went on Cwb because the version of Cubase I used have a stupid limitation on number of instrument track :D

Cwb has good functionalities but somehow, there are many issues preventing me from having a peaceful workflow so far.

Any help on this will be appreciated!

Edited by K-Libro

• 1 year later...

This is a F...king headache! I never had this problems with SONAR... I changed my PC, installed cakewalk an first, I had trouble with ASIO... a lost of time till I could solve it. Now, the VST don´t work... there´s audio at first instance, though when you open a new VST audio stops. No more audio. I´ll have to come back to my old PC and old SONAR. This is a waste of time.