key bindings changed and inconsistent

DocBob

Control Tab  opens the track inspector even though that key combination is unassigned in the Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts.  It SHOULD be reserved as a standard Win 10 key combo to cycle through the open windows.

Show/Hide Track inspector does not appear in the list of actions even though the "i" key is bound to it.

Anyone else with this behaviour?

Alt Tab cycles through open windows on my Win 10 system. Always has as far as I can recall. Control Tab doesnt seem to do anything within Cakewalk. I'm on latest 2020-04 build.

Edited by Steve_B
  • Like 2

I've always used Ctrl-Tab to switch between Track View and Console View (yes, the Windows 10 key combo to cycle through open windows in a program)

This still works, I'm on the very latest Cakewalk version 2020-04, and  Ctrl-Tab remains "unassigned" in my Cake Keyboard shortcuts.

. . . only thing is . . . ever since they created the Lenses feature (now called Workspaces) . . . every time I open Cakewalk, I have to go to the Workspaces drop down menu, and select "None" (even though None is already checkboxed) . . . once you click "None" something mysterious flickers, and poof ! Ctrl-Tab now cycles between Track View and Console View, since all my projects have always been set up that way. Every time I start another new Cakewalk session, I have to do this to get it working again.

12 hours ago, noynekker said:

I've always used Ctrl-Tab to switch between Track View and Console View (yes, the Windows 10 key combo to cycle through open windows in a program)

This still works, I'm on the very latest Cakewalk version 2020-04, and  Ctrl-Tab remains "unassigned" in my Cake Keyboard shortcuts.

. . . only thing is . . . ever since they created the Lenses feature (now called Workspaces) . . . every time I open Cakewalk, I have to go to the Workspaces drop down menu, and select "None" (even though None is already checkboxed) . . . once you click "None" something mysterious flickers, and poof ! Ctrl-Tab now cycles between Track View and Console View, since all my projects have always been set up that way. Every time I start another new Cakewalk session, I have to do this to get it working again.

I like to try tips from other users to learn possible techniques so I tried this (Ctrl+Tab).  On my specific PC here's what I learned so far:

• Ctrl+Tab seems to do nothing when I have things docked in a single window (main view).
  • When I undock [float] the Console, Ctrl+Tab switches my PC's focus between the main view [all-in-one view] and the console.
  • When I undock [float] something else (I used the browser). Ctrl+Tab seems to toggle between the  most recent two floating views.
  • When I switch to my Web Browser, Ctrl+Tab rotates through browser tabs.
  • When I bind Ctrl+Tab to "Next Tab," Cakewalk allows me to rotate through tabs in the multidock.

That's as far as I got, but I have found the key combo (which I almost never used before) to be quite handy--so thanks to DocBob for raising the issue and for others  who chimed in, esp. noynekker whose explanation got me exploring in greater detail than a simple test.

As for me, for my workspaces that have an undocked console on my second monitor, I will probably use the default key binding (unassigned) so I can toggle between the main view and the console view. For my workspaces where I tend to have multiple tabs in the multidock, I will probably bind it to "Next Tab."

Like many others, for keyboarding I tend to use a right-hand mouse + left-hand keyboard shortcut technique and overloading the Ctrl+Tab combo depending on workflow context/workspace fits in with this.  So, thanks to all for helping me to discover this!

Edited by User 905133
word changes

On 4/26/2020 at 1:53 PM, Steve_B said:

Alt Tab cycles through open windows on my Win 10 system. Always has as far as I can recall. Control Tab doesnt seem to do anything within Cakewalk. I'm on latest 2020-04 build.

Alt Tab is a windows reserved key combo that cycles between open PROGRAMS.   Cntrl Tab cycles between open windows within one program