Wav-form appearence

Mr. Torture

I've never known PT shows waveforms like that. It does look easy on the eye, but to my eyes it looks  inaccurate - like 60% of the info is left out (unless I'm somehow misunderstanding the behavior of the video in practice). I assume there's a way to get all the details visible when you want to edit the audio?

22 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Unless I am mistaken, Mr. Torture is asking for the space between the amplitude and zero to be filled in--maybe.

image.png.ddc40da4617d2c8817fb98e283245fd9.png

Yes sir, the third picture illustrates it well. The top (Yellow) wav is what I would like to see, as opposed to the bottom single line.

1 hour ago, Mr. Torture said:

Yes sir, the third picture illustrates it well. The top (Yellow) wav is what I would like to see, as opposed to the bottom single line.

Thanks for confirming this.  Just to let you know, the first two pictures were done with different zoom amounts while in the third one the left track was  hand-colored using MS-Paint.

They are from a project which involves marking and editing oral history tapes. Having a color picker for fills so different waveform sections could be colorized would be great for marking up tracks--easy to see and would augment the use of text-based markers. 

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Having a color picker for fills so different waveform sections could be colorized would be great for marking up tracks--easy to see and would augment the use of text-based markers. 

For me, I envisioned this as being an option, not mandatory and not a default behavior--kind of like: select, right-click, choose color.

I thought it was obvious, but maybe it wasn't; so, thanks for calling attention to this omission. 

46 minutes ago, Roger Jeynes said:

Please leave the waveform display the way it is - it can help precision editing of plosive pops

In fact, even Mr. Torture referred to it as an "added feature"--which I infer meant optional, not mandatory nor default.  There are plenty of people who post in this forum that think their methods are the best and everyone else should be doing it their way; so, it makes sense that you would want it left alone.

As for editing verbal/vocal artifacts, I had in mind using different colors/shades for different classes of things--for example, "ums," "ers," "whe--whens", "he-errr-we," false starts, unneeded details, etc.   If it doesn't work for hissing esses, plosive pops, etc., that's fine with me.

Edited by User 905133
to add clarifications