How to stop remapping

dwf2008

Question

Sometimes I manage to start cakewalk before I turn on the usb interface or the keyboard, synth, etc. When this happens cakewalk automatically remaps the tracks to other instruments that are turned on and available. This is a pain because I then have to go track by track and reset all the midi ins and outs, and patches etc. It does this even if I close cakewalk without saving, turn on the required equipment, and then restart it. So my question is: Is there a setting somewhere to stop this behavior? Tell cakewalk to just leave things alone. If it can’t find the specified instrument, so be it. Just leave things alone! I’ve noticed that if I turn off the instrument before I close cakewalk it will ask me if I want to change the settings to an available instrument, but it does not give me this option at the beginning of the session.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

9 hours ago, dwf2008 said:

It does this even if I close cakewalk without saving, turn on the required equipment, and then restart it.

Are you sure about that? I have not seen that. So long as you don't save the project with the wrong assignments, it should come back up with the proper assignments  once all your interfaces are up. It shouldn't even be necessary to restart Cakewalk.

In any case,  no, there's really no way to prevent that happening with tracks referencing missing hardware ports. I'm not sure how other DAWs manage this issue, but it seems there's room for improvement of Cakewalk in this area. At the very least, it could warn of missing drivers at  launch before you even open a project.

There have been some issues in this area addressed in the current release, so try it and see. These specifically apply to virtual instruments, but there will be more fixes dealing with remapping of diconnected and reconnected MIDI devices.

The Reference Guide brags about how Cakewalk can keep track of disconnected and reconnected MIDI ports, so the program should live up to those promises!