Arranger track

Adam

Hi, I am new to Cakewalk, so I'm not sure if there is an obvious answer to this.  The Arranger is proving to be a great tool to help build and arrange songs.  I too am having the issue where there are not smooth transitions between Sections before I 'commit arrangement to project' but I am not worried about this.  The problem I have is that when I do 'commit to project' all clips jam up at the start of the tracks and all but the first Section remains.  I.e. my song goes from over 5 mins to 22 seconds.  The same thing happens when I select the Section in timeline view and try to move the Section and all the clips it contains. Please help!

Edited by Clay Hoger

1 hour ago, Clay Hoger said:

Hi all, I solved this.  All individual clips are to be bounced to a clip.  This is fine, but I have used the midi sequencer which has a limit of only 64 bars and can therefore no longer edit the sequence.  Pity.

Can you provide a screenshot about the problem you're having? 

23 hours ago, David Baay said:

I'll have to do some more testing to confirm, but it seems PDC can have an effect. Disabling two instances of LP plugins and one of Transient Shaper eliminated glitching in one project I checked, and disabling only two of them had no effect. PDC had to be completely eliminated to eliminate the glitch in this case. 

Also, since timeline-seeking is involved, the OP might want to check the setting of 'Set Now Time with Full Restart' in the Track View Options menu. Having this enabled can cause glitches in manual timeline-seeking.

Set Now Time with Full Restart is disabled during arranger preview. Its not compatible with realtime playback.

My problem with the arrfanger feature is that it doesn't workvery well. I get the intention. But when I create an arrangement that I like and try to export the file, All my sections get pushed to the start of the song and play together. The same happens when I try to consolidate an arrangement. All the sections move to the start!

The idea is great, the implementation, not so much. So far the best I can do is preview an arrangement with all the glitches. 

image.thumb.png.060ea93abf2b1233e52edbc02f56fd0e.png

image.thumb.png.5eca3f5512349439a6224b48457627ee.png

Edited by Percy Ferry
Spelling and to add screencaps

On 5/2/2020 at 10:25 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Maybe you misunderstood. The arrangement can freely be modified during playback with no interruptions. You can add new sections, reorder, delete, duplicate, all on the fly during playback.

No it can't, at least on my system. No changes that are made during a preview bcan be heard until replayed.

@Percy Ferry

In your screenshots, you don't actually have an "Arrangement" per the feature design. The general workflow is that you have your sections in the top half of the Inspector, but then you add those to the Arrangements pane in the bottom section. This is where you can preview or export different Arrangements from the picker in the Inspector. The Sections pane at the top will list you the Sections currently in your project, and you can reorder and preview those sections from there, but it's not an "Arrangement". If you have a project file where all of the different Sections in an Arrangement export at once, you can send that to us and we'll take a look at it.

7 hours ago, Percy Ferry said:

No it can't, at least on my system. No changes that are made during a preview bcan be heard until replayed.

As Jon said you have not created an actual arrangement - you only have the section list. While you can move around sections all you are doing is moving chunks of audio data on the physical timeline. To make an arrangement you must drag and drop sections into the lower arrangement pane. Those are the virtual dynamic arrangements of the sections on your timeline. Arrangements in the arrangements pane are dynamic and you can at any time drop in new sections or reorder them during playback.

13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

As Jon said you have not created an actual arrangement - you only have the section list. While you can move around sections all you are doing is moving chunks of audio data on the physical timeline. To make an arrangement you must drag and drop sections into the lower arrangement pane. Those are the virtual dynamic arrangements of the sections on your timeline. Arrangements in the arrangements pane are dynamic and you can at any time drop in new sections or reorder them during playback.

The screencap is the result of committing an arrangement.

Once that is done, the clips all move to the far left, mand the arrangement is cleared.

17 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

@Percy Ferry

In your screenshots, you don't actually have an "Arrangement" per the feature design. The general workflow is that you have your sections in the top half of the Inspector, but then you add those to the Arrangements pane in the bottom section. This is where you can preview or export different Arrangements from the picker in the Inspector. The Sections pane at the top will list you the Sections currently in your project, and you can reorder and preview those sections from there, but it's not an "Arrangement". If you have a project file where all of the different Sections in an Arrangement export at once, you can send that to us and we'll take a look at it.

What you see in the screencap is the post commitment screen, I had an arrangement and when I committed it, the clips were all moved to the start of the timeline and the arrangement was cleared. This also happens when I try to export an arrangement.

I've been trying to break the arranger to see where it was failing and it worked pretty much flawlessly until I added the Groove BPB rompler.
I'll have to use something else for my rompler needs. But the arranger itself is working well.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

I have a suggestion to make arranger useable for live gigs or just working out new arrangements in real time.   So, for example I have a tune Intro, Verse, Chorus, Outro format.   I place a marker at the beginning of each section and assign the marker to a key (footswitch) etc.   Arranger will jump to the section when the key is pressed but what I suggest is to have the DAW que up the keypress and continue playing to the end of the current section befor jumping to the next marker  (section).   Instead of waiting for the keypress in the last 4 beats to select the next section to play.   This would make it easy to take extended solo's or re-arrange a tune on the fly.   I'm not always able to catch the last 4 beats of a section.  ;) 

I hope this is the right place to suggest this.

Regards,

Frank Canupp

The Frankielee Show

On 5/14/2020 at 3:17 AM, Percy Ferry said:

I've been trying to break the arranger to see where it was failing and it worked pretty much flawlessly until I added the Groove BPB rompler.
I'll have to use something else for my rompler needs. But the arranger itself is working well.

Thanks.

If you're using any VSTi which has its own "sequencer" type behaviour, or anything that generates its own content based on the timeline, you should freeze the tracks using those VSTi's (or bounce them to an audio track) before committing your arrangement.