Volume of Imported MP3

Raja Bhat

Hi there, am just getting familiar with CW! This is the second day that I have played with it, Have watched several tutorials on YouTube. I mostly play with karaoke. So the issue is: I import the background karaoke track MP3 on one track, create another track for my vocals. But I find it near impossible to lower the MP3 track volume adequately! I tried the volume dB slider to the left of the track, that did not help. I then selected the track and went to Process, tried to lower it there, no good. Then based on a video on YouTube I found I had to bring up Console view, and turn down the knob that says Pre-Gain. That works. I have to experiment more as what really counts is to produce an MP3 that has the right balance of my voice and the karaoke background, and adequate total volume. Also, I have to experiment more with the In and Out USBs so I can hear exactly what is being recorded. 

Oh, one other question. I love to play karaoke MP4 files on my cell phone and sing along. But importing MP4 into CW, only shows thumbnails and not a live video. Is that normal? No way to watch and listen to a karaoke MP4 file and sing along?

Thx much! So far I find it far more advanced than Audacity which I've used for a couple of years now. The problem I have found with Audacity, is that my vocal volume, if I push it to an extent that seems to have a good dB signal, distortion occurs. I had to repeatedly amplify to improve; even then, the MP3 volume is not that great. I now have to see if with CW I can get adequately loud MP3s of the final mix. 

Raja

Edited by Raja Bhat

The volume slider in the track pane ( or console view)  most certainly should lower or raise the volume of the associated track. It's a basic function of any DAW.  

Cakewalk has a video track and will play back most formats,  I know for sure MP4 works for me.  You can always convert to the correct format using a free program called Handbrake.  

I made some videos for beginners that are very basic stuff on navigating the workspace etc. 

https://youtu.be/cfSOBZbUbsc

Edited by John Vere

If the volume needs to come down more than what you can do with the fader or channel strip Gain knob, there are numerous freeware gain plugins, I use the free bundle from Blue Cat, which comes with a Gain plugin.  I just insert the Blue Cat Gain plugin as an audio effect, on whatever track needs it, and you just pull the big gain dial to the left to drop the gain by whatever you wish. 

Bob Bone