External audio editor

Johan Krafft

Greetings!

As an old Cakewalk and Sonar user, I am wondering if it is possible in this new Bandlab edition of the software to add an external audio editor such as Sound Forge under the "utilities" menu for Quick editing of wave files? I have searched but have not been able to find anything covering this topic.

I cannot find a section in the preferences to set the directory of an external audio editor. Reading the reference manual there is an option in Cakewalk.ini - ToolTempFileDir. But I can't seem to get it to work.

Are there several cakewalk.ini files? Running dir cakewalk.ini /s I see 3 files at different locations. Is the file under c:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  the one that should be edited, or a different one (\all users\cakewalk\cakewalk core or \app data\roaming…)

I am really happy to see that this software is still alive.

Kind regards

Johan

Yes, the process has not changed in years.

It requires modifying the registry.

To make it easier, I wrote Tools Editor to add almost any type of file to the tools section of the utility menu.

The main thread for this is

A link to Tools Editor and other utilities are in the original post.

If you have any questions about its use please post in that thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Scook!

I realized this as I stumbled upon this:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013099/Adding-third-party-audio-editing-software-to-SONARs-Utilities-menu

I manually edited the registry, and while doing so I remembered that this is the way we were doing it back in the days aswell! :)

All the best to you and thanks for your prompt reply. I can't wait diving into the Cakewalk world again, I am really excited.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been in Mars for some years, but since I'm back, I was looking for this inside Cakewalk...

I remember doing that in a very easy way right from a menu inside old Cakewalks... Am I crazy????

I barely recorded at Sonar Era, but already missed it. That was one of the best things of Cakes...

So why, who's the genius that took it out????

It looks like another "great" Idea on how to turn easy into hard.

HELLO, BANDLAB CREW ??? ANYONE???

I guess not many people would use it so it’s a low priority and scooks tool is all that is needed really. 
Movie Studio comes with Sound Forge included and it’s built in. It always crashes on me when I tried to use it from within Movie Studio .

But it was easy to change the default as it simply lets you browse for the execution file and select it. I have a few softwares that work that way. 
I have Cakewalk set to open in Wave Lab but I haven’t used it that way in years.  I find it can screw up and that’s a waste of time.  
I just open Wave Lab and browse to the Cakewalk audio folder and open and edit it from there. Way more stable this way. 
And it’s rare I would need to even do this as I have developed better workflows for Cakewalk.