Free Improvisation: Clarinet and Piano

Jerry Gerber

My friend Art Austin is one of the few classical musicians that I know who is a fantastic improviser.  We get together from time to time, when there weren't any pandemics, just to play.  Nothing memorized, nothing notated, nothing agreed upon, not even tempos, keys or chord progressions.  We just listen to one another and respond.  I find that improv is the time to give expression to the spontaneous  musical impulse, the most direct and immediate form of musical expression.   As a composer, improv often serves as the place where ideas are discovered and turned into composition.   Composition is about structure, refinement, development and organization, improv is about music-in-the-moment-- and nothing else. 

I hope you enjoy listening.

Art Austin, clarinet

Jerry Gerber, piano

PLAY

• Like 2

Improvisation is some of the most enjoyable music to play for me. I only had time to sample through this and couldn't listen to the entire 10 minutes of it.

I can tell you guys have played together a few times and make a great improv team! Thanks for sharing!

Some mad chops from both of you!

Many thanks for sharing

t

I've mentioned this in the past. My wife's uncle was the "principle" clarinetist for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra for many years.
According to uncle Dick; the "principle" clarinetist is the stud lead guitar player of the Symphony.

I'm sure Symphony politics is the same as Band politics; every one thinks they are the band.
He also liked the word legit musicians, I read that as: not a card caring union member; not legit.
FZ, he sure loved legit musicians...

why am i writing this?
why am I asking you?
I guess that's what we get with 10:43, too much idle time to muse (amuse?).

all done, well done!

sorry

21 hours ago, Starise said:

Improvisation is some of the most enjoyable music to play for me. I only had time to sample through this and couldn't listen to the entire 10 minutes of it.

I can tell you guys have played together a few times and make a great improv team! Thanks for sharing!

You do realize that origins of the word jazz don't you?